Battery question and anything else you wanna tell me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Battery question and anything else you wanna tell me within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all... so just got a 2002 WRX wagon, with 36K miles only! Yeah that's true. I got it looked ...

Question Battery question and anything else you wanna tell me

Hey all...
    so just got a 2002 WRX wagon, with 36K miles only! Yeah that's true. I got it looked at by a Subaru dealer and in their opinion it's mostly good. The guy who i bought it from kept it stock. He had a mismatched tire so I replaced all 4 as the other 3 were bad anyway. I tried to start it this morning and the battery died. How i know this is because I jumped it with my scion TC and it woke right up. I was so relieved!! So i just got a 600CA battery by Duralast are they any good? ALso I just got a FRAM air filter. The one that's there right now is pretty dirty. Anything I should do to run it well... any preference in engine oils or tranny oils? MY friend has a WRX and he uses Mobil 1 10w-30. Also i got a d pack of Chevron Techron fuel additive from Costco to add every now and then. ANy thoughts are welcome for this newbie!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    wow! super low mileage lol. welcome to the club.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

thanks! and also thanks for sending that email! i appreciate it!

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nitinbud View Post
    Hey all...
    so just got a 2002 WRX wagon, with 36K miles only! Yeah that's true. I got it looked at by a Subaru dealer and in their opinion it's mostly good. The guy who i bought it from kept it stock. He had a mismatched tire so I replaced all 4 as the other 3 were bad anyway. I tried to start it this morning and the battery died. How i know this is because I jumped it with my scion TC and it woke right up. I was so relieved!! So i just got a 600CA battery by Duralast are they any good? ALso I just got a FRAM air filter. The one that's there right now is pretty dirty. Anything I should do to run it well... any preference in engine oils or tranny oils? MY friend has a WRX and he uses Mobil 1 10w-30. Also i got a d pack of Chevron Techron fuel additive from Costco to add every now and then. ANy thoughts are welcome for this newbie!
    Is the 4th tire that you didn't replace still new? All tires must be of the same make/model and be within 2/32nd tire wear of each other.

Leave the fuel additives where they are. They won't do anything for your car.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nitinbud View Post
    thanks! and also thanks for sending that email! i appreciate it!
    oh! didnt realize it was you lol i didnt even look at the s/n. youre welcome.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Registered User Thecabindweller's Avatar
    i also need to replace my battery, it barely starts. i put 5w-30 in my 03 wrx, im switching to full synthetic next oil change, id suggest looking into that too, more expensive but i've heard alot of good things.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecabindweller View Post
    i also need to replace my battery, it barely starts. i put 5w-30 in my 03 wrx, im switching to full synthetic next oil change, id suggest looking into that too, more expensive but i've heard alot of good things.
    Don't use Mobil 1 5w30.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Don't use Mobil 1 5w30.
    This is very widely debated.... I've got 40k miles on 4qts Mobil1 and 1qt Lucas' Oil Stabilizer with none of the reported issues
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    I have the duralast red top... looks good in the engine bay, and works well... I wouldn't waste the money on a braille or optima... that's just my personal opinion though.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    In general, the majority of people agree that the subaru "Extra S" synthetic gear oil is the best for the transmission and rear differential
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister
    This is very widely debated.... I've got 40k miles on 4qts Mobil1 and 1qt Lucas' Oil Stabilizer with none of the reported issues
    What's your UOA look like?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Registered User Thecabindweller's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Don't use Mobil 1 5w30.
    it doesn't really matter operating viscosity is the same if your using 5w-30 or 10w-30... but if your in a place that goes well below freezing in the winter like me, i'd still recommend the 5w-30 just because its easier to start in the winter and lubes the engine quicker in cold conditions...until your at running temperature in which there equivalent. its really up to you.

Yeah, Mobil 1 must be so bad that the engineers of all these vehicles made it the factory fill:

Cadillac
    Corvette
    Cobalt SS
    All Porsches
    Acura RDX
    Aston Martin DB9, DBS and Vantage
    All Bentley Vehicles
    Bristol Fighter and Fighter S
    Buick Regal GT
    Chevrolet Camaro SS, CR8 and HHR SS
    Daewoo G2X
    All Holden HSV
    Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8
    Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles
    Mercedes SLR McLaren
    Mitsubishi Evolution and Lancer Evolution FQ400
    Nissan GT-R
    Opel GT and Insignia
    Pontiac G8 GXP
    Saab 9-3 TTid
    Saturn Sky Red Line
    Vauxhall VXR8

06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Because Mobil 1 has the same formulation in the US that they use in Europe. Mobil 1 5w30 has an issue with prematurely shearing to 5w20. Other grades are not as prone to this.
    Last edited by brfatal; 09-16-2009 at 11:34 AM.

someone in here said he's switching to full synthetic... i thought synthetic is all you can use for the turbo. Thanks for all the help WRXers! I ended up getting a Duralast yellow top... a battery is a battery. I got one with decent Cranking amps. I also got 4 new tires... Yokohamas Avid TRZs I live in CT so it's bad snow... so i got some with a balance of good traction and good speed. They're T rated and I know the limit is 120mph... But i can do with that also got 4 new rotors and new brakes (pads provided by seller! yesss!) Looking to get new spark plugs (i am also hoping it helps the gas mileage a bit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast