only 6psi!!??

This is a discussion on only 6psi!!?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, I own a 06 wrx tr and the only mods I have done are cat back exhaust and spt ...

only 6psi!!??

Hi, I own a 06 wrx tr and the only mods I have done are cat back exhaust and spt intake. I bought a used accessport v2 and flash stage 1 91oct. After flashing stage 1, I used the "live data" to check my boost. it's saying only 5.9psi in 4th at WOT!! I then flashed back to stock an checked boost to find nothing has changed(psi). I don't have a boost gauge( besides the AP's live data) so I don't know if I was ever hiting target boost. anyone ever have a similar problem? could the accessport be giving off a false psi reading? I checked for leaks and everything looks good. please help!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The AP displays what the cars computer is reading, whether or not it is accurate, who knows. Best thing to do would be to compare it with a quality boost gauge. How did you go about checking for leaks?
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

I visually checked for cracked or loose lines. I know I need to do a firmware update on the AP, but I don't think that's my problem.(correct me if I'm wrong) also my boost never tapers off either. It stays 5.9psi untill redline. my car doesn't feel any different than it did a year ago. Would only peak boost at 6psi throw some sort of CEL? Also I know prosport is a cheap brand for gauges but I need 1 asap. Are they so bad I shouldn't order it? I also noticed I'm missing my turbo heat shield witch can't be helping my issue

I Support ClubWRX
    The AP uses the ECU signal from the MAP sensor which is extremely accurate. You need to check and see if the restrictor pill is in the vacuum line on the compressor housing.

Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    The AP uses the ECU signal from the MAP sensor which is extremely accurate.
    Thanks for confirmation on using the AP to measure boost and the accuracy on it. That's the method I have been using.

I checked today and the restrictor pill is in the exact same spot as shown in the diagram. Anything else I should check before making an expensive call to the dealer? (its going to be funny explaining to them i suspect my car of underboosting like a MoFo without a boost gauge)I updated the firmwear on the AP and now it said my peak boost was 6.5 How sad is that....

Try adjusting your wastegate actuator arm. When i first got my 02 it didn't have any pull but i could hear the turbo spool. Once i got my AP it read my peak boost at 9.5psi ish. I adjusted the wastegate are to make it shorter by about 2 turns and now i am hitting 14.5-15 psi and the car is pulling like it should.

This is link i used when i did mine.
    Wastegate actuator arm adjustment - NASIOC

I really didn't want to go messing with the wastegate if I didn't have to. So I called my dealer and had them check it out. they had my car all day and they are claiming everything is normal. The tech told me if I was underboosting it would throw a CEL. Does anyone know if that's true? Also can my spt intake cause the AP to be this far off with my boost? I have a subaru tech telling me my car is fine, and an accessport telling me I'm only making 6psi. Who or what should I believe?

Thumbs up prosport

I have a prosport 52mm peak/hold boost gauge and i love it. i just ordered there oil temp and oil press. gauges too then the exh temp when i put my TBE on. for the price u cant beat them. i ordered from street unit, cheapest around and great shipping. plus they give you all sorts of discounts for some reason. like returning customer discounts.

Well I solved my underboosting problem, it was that god damn restrictor pill the whole time. The first time I checked for it I located it, but didn't realize it was in the wrong line. Now when I put it in the correct line I overboost to 15psi.(stock map) havn't tried stage1. I'm having DSG (dent sport garage) fix her once and for all. I heard they do awsome work, and are located fairly close to me. (mass)

wow id say u r pullin some boost. my 04 sti is stock other than a drop in KnN. n i only hit 14.8 14.9 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    The AP uses the ECU signal from the MAP sensor which is extremely accurate. You need to check and see if the restrictor pill is in the vacuum line on the compressor housing.

what if it isn't in there? would that be the reason why my boost is at 6-8 psi?

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S