Subaru WRX Forum banner

only 6psi!!??

7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Donkey 
#1 ·
Hi, I own a 06 wrx tr and the only mods I have done are cat back exhaust and spt intake. I bought a used accessport v2 and flash stage 1 91oct. After flashing stage 1, I used the "live data" to check my boost. it's saying only 5.9psi in 4th at WOT!! I then flashed back to stock an checked boost to find nothing has changed(psi). I don't have a boost gauge( besides the AP's live data) so I don't know if I was ever hiting target boost. anyone ever have a similar problem? could the accessport be giving off a false psi reading? I checked for leaks and everything looks good. please help!!

#2 ·
The AP displays what the cars computer is reading, whether or not it is accurate, who knows. Best thing to do would be to compare it with a quality boost gauge. How did you go about checking for leaks?

#3 ·
I visually checked for cracked or loose lines. I know I need to do a firmware update on the AP, but I don't think that's my problem.(correct me if I'm wrong) also my boost never tapers off either. It stays 5.9psi untill redline. my car doesn't feel any different than it did a year ago. Would only peak boost at 6psi throw some sort of CEL? Also I know prosport is a cheap brand for gauges but I need 1 asap. Are they so bad I shouldn't order it? I also noticed I'm missing my turbo heat shield witch can't be helping my issue:unhappy:

#5 ·
The AP uses the ECU signal from the MAP sensor which is extremely accurate.
Thanks for confirmation on using the AP to measure boost and the accuracy on it. That's the method I have been using.

#6 ·
I checked today and the restrictor pill is in the exact same spot as shown in the diagram. Anything else I should check before making an expensive call to the dealer? (its going to be funny explaining to them i suspect my car of underboosting like a MoFo without a boost gauge)I updated the firmwear on the AP and now it said my peak boost was 6.5 How sad is that....:(

#7 ·
Try adjusting your wastegate actuator arm. When i first got my 02 it didn't have any pull but i could hear the turbo spool. Once i got my AP it read my peak boost at 9.5psi ish. I adjusted the wastegate are to make it shorter by about 2 turns and now i am hitting 14.5-15 psi and the car is pulling like it should.

This is link i used when i did mine.
Wastegate actuator arm adjustment - NASIOC

#8 ·
I really didn't want to go messing with the wastegate if I didn't have to. So I called my dealer and had them check it out. they had my car all day and they are claiming everything is normal. The tech told me if I was underboosting it would throw a CEL. Does anyone know if that's true? Also can my spt intake cause the AP to be this far off with my boost? I have a subaru tech telling me my car is fine, and an accessport telling me I'm only making 6psi. Who or what should I believe?

#9 ·
prosport

I have a prosport 52mm peak/hold boost gauge and i love it. i just ordered there oil temp and oil press. gauges too then the exh temp when i put my TBE on. for the price u cant beat them. i ordered from street unit, cheapest around and great shipping. plus they give you all sorts of discounts for some reason. like returning customer discounts.

#10 ·
Well I solved my underboosting problem, it was that god damn restrictor pill the whole time. The first time I checked for it I located it, but didn't realize it was in the wrong line. Now when I put it in the correct line I overboost to 15psi.(stock map) havn't tried stage1. I'm having DSG (dent sport garage) fix her once and for all. I heard they do awsome work, and are located fairly close to me. (mass)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.