5qts to fill engine after oil change.??

This is a discussion on 5qts to fill engine after oil change.?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, as title states after changing the oil on my wrx 07 for the first time I had to use ...

5qts to fill engine after oil change.??

Hello, as title states after changing the oil on my wrx 07 for the first time I had to use 5qts to fill it to line..?
    procedure i used.

drained oil via pan, after pan was empty i replaced the drain plug with a new washer.
    removed oil filter and let oil drain... replaced oil filter with smaller subaru brand oil filter.
    added just over 4 qts of oil.
    started engine up and let it run for 20-30 seconds or so, shut of vehicle.. let it sit for 30 sec more, checked oil level and was at the lower mark on dipstick?? so i added the rest of the 5th qt, this put me just above the full mark.
    how is this possible? after about 700 miles on the oil i checked it again, its all clean and sitting just above the full lvl mark...
    the motor is stock 2.5 07 wrx motor,.. the owners guide says 4.2 qts oil capacity..

any ideas anyone?
    Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just go with it...Personally I put 5 qts in every Subaru DOHC or DOHC Turbo engine I do an oil change on..Check the level and its right at full......Subarus are extremely odd when it comes to oil levels. EX: I had a Tribeca the other day EZ30, Manual says around 6 quarts...it took 7.5..yes 7.5...So Personally I dont even listen to the owners manuals really any more...Ive done hundreds of oil changes on Subarus and the oil capacites listed are rarely ever dead on....At least when it comes to Subaru...

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My '06 takes 4.5 quarts to get to the full line on the dip. Doesn't sound too out of the ordinary for a 5 quart oil change. The amount of oil you need to put in depends on how much oil actually comes out of the system.

Also, when you're checking your oil, are you giving it enough time for the oil to settle back down in the drain pan to give you an accurate reading? Procedure for me is to check every time I fill up gas. Pop hood, get out, fill up with gas, then check oil. You should be waiting ~3-5 minutes after turning off the engine before checking the oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    My '06 takes 4.5 quarts to get to the full line on the dip. Doesn't sound too out of the ordinary for a 5 quart oil change. The amount of oil you need to put in depends on how much oil actually comes out of the system.

Also, when you're checking your oil, are you giving it enough time for the oil to settle back down in the drain pan to give you an accurate reading? Procedure for me is to check every time I fill up gas. Pop hood, get out, fill up with gas, then check oil. You should be waiting ~3-5 minutes after turning off the engine before checking the oil.
    my 06 takes the same
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

i put 5 in to my 02 wrx. ive even heard of people putting 5.5qts to help with our ej205 bearing issue.
    Power Is Nothing Without Control.
    Bugeye Mafia #221

WOW! I just came from the dealer and got my oil change to synthetic. Bought 5 quarts and told them to leave the left over 1/2 or 3/4 bottle in the car. The guy was wondering if I wanted to syphon out the rest of the oil in the bottle. He mentioned that it would take all 5 quarts.

Got the car back and found all 5 empty bottles in box in my car!

The manual says you should put in as much oil that's emptied out.

I looked at all my prev maintenance records and every place used 5 quarts.

Guess from now on i'm using all 5 quarts.

The dipstick shows oil clearly past both LOW and MAX pin holes and well past the notch and right at the deformed (twisted) section of the dipstick. (concerns?)

It seems everyone's been experiencing this even in the older models Do the 2.0L engines (according to manuals) claim to have the same capacity as 2.5L engines since 2006?