Faint tick/knock at low RPMS
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Faint tick/knock at low RPMS within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so here is a quick History of my car before I get into any details. I bought the car ...

Faint tick/knock at low RPMS

Ok so here is a quick History of my car before I get into any details. I bought the car used (it was stock) last year. I drove it for about a month and then the cat in the upipe broke apart and blew my turbo and spun a rod bearing. I had the dealership
    rebuild everything for me and all was well. About 5000 miles after that rebuild it spun a rod bearing. Dealership covered it and rebuilt it again since something wasn't correct. Since the second rebuild i have about another 5000 miles on the car. Today i notcied a really faint ticking or knocking at low rpms. I'm not sure if it's normal and i'm being paranoid or if it's a start of something else bad to come. Only mod on the car as far as the engine goes is a catback. Below is a video of the sound, you can hear the noise best at a constant rpm....the camera is pretty bad so it might be hard to hear but if anyone has any input please let me know. Thanks!

Engine remix by 98TJ - Photobucket

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

wow. thats some pretty bad ticking. im pretty sure the engine/car is shaking.

i dont think you can do much about it and take it to the dealer hopefully they can diagnose the problem. if they rebuild twice i dont think it would be a prob for rebuilding again. or worst case scenario, engine replacement. and if thats the case, lucky you.
    MANNY
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #134

https://www.facebook.com/L1G3R

2007 WRB WRX TR, Stage 2.5, SPT Intake, Full Invidia 3" Exhaust w/ N1, ISC Coilovers, 17x8 RPF1 w/ Hankook VENTUS V4, DIY Engine Grounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jusino View Post
    wow. thats some pretty bad ticking. im pretty sure the engine/car is shaking.

i dont think you can do much about it and take it to the dealer hopefully they can diagnose the problem. if they rebuild twice i dont think it would be a prob for rebuilding again. or worst case scenario, engine replacement. and if thats the case, lucky you.
    +1 ^ I would def. bring it to the dealership.

It's wierd though it only does it if i hold the throttle between 1000-1500 rpms. It sounds a lot louder in the video that it really is but it sounds like another bearing?

Man if it is another bearing all I can say is you have some bad luck dude..lol...i know i know seriously no laughing matter though...

Yeah you're telling me. It better not be another bearing. I do all my oil changes early and I rarely ever beat on the car. I'm going to swing by the closest dealership down here and see if they can listen to it for me. If it is a bearing again i may have to look at getting rid of the subie for something more reliable

Went to the nearest dealer today. Once of the techs looked at it for me. He said it wasn't really loud or pronounced enough to tell if it was another bearing but he said with my luck it doesn't sound good. So i guess i'm just going to have to drive it and see what happens. I just hope it doesn't let go as soon as the warranty is up from the last rebuild (april).

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.