Shot Turbo? or something else? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Shot Turbo? or something else? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Those look like the rear pinion bearings in the pic. But yes the pinion bearing is kind of in the ...

Those look like the rear pinion bearings in the pic. But yes the pinion bearing is kind of in the tailhousing of the trans by the transfer gear, there is also a pinion bearing in the trans iteself.. To be honest with you I have never seen a Subaru have a defective rear pinion bearing, however Its not that uncommon the one in the trans goes over time.. Did rallispec do anything with the Viscous coupler or transfer gear/bearings when they did the trans? OH ok the airport is about 40 minutes from me..
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 09-15-2009 at 04:32 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm not sure... I'll give them a call.

Hopefully I'll find something when I jack it up again and start shaking things around under the car.

... back when I replaced my trans, I put both the grp n engine and trans mounts in. Shortly after the installation, I noticed my Engine mount bolts were gone Hopefully nothing retarded like that has happened and caused excessive wear and tear on any of my drivetrain components.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

Neil, any vibrations you feel?
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I would def. be sending the trans back to rallispec....I have a gut feeling the case halves will have to be split again or the tailhousing/transfer case will have to come off..

Neil, any vibrations you feel?
    I feel the noise in the shifter when I'm cruising in gear. :-/

I would def. be sending the trans back to rallispec....I have a gut feeling the case halves will have to be split again or the tailhousing/transfer case will have to come off..
    barring my last comment, I dunno. Stuck it up on Jacks just now and poked around under there for a while and Nothing struck me as being abnormal. No fluid is leaking out of any of the outputs of the trans. When I push, pull, and tug on the rear drive shaft (propeller shaft? -part 1 in that drawing), there's hardly any movement. Further down the drive shaft, there's a rubber bearing assembly (center bearing? -part 2 in that drawing) that allows the drive shaft to rotate in and has some compliance. I think if this was going bad, I'd see all sorts of grease leaking out of it. It allows flex, but it feels solid axially. That attaches to the rear diff and there's no slop there either.

The only thing I saw was my dr side engine mount has a wacked out washer and lock washer that I need to replace at some point.

Also, do you know if when you grab the DOJ on your front halfshafts if you can push up and down and get about 1/8 - 1/4" play out of it? What about if you give them a plunging motion? I get the same exact motion out of both sides, so I don't think that is my problem. The motion is in the trans, not the DOJ.

I'll give Rallispec a call tomorrow and get their opinion.

JR or Evoeater, do you guys know any local to us subaru dealer mechanics that aren't jerkoffs? I'm going to throw in the towel.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

I don't consider myself a jerkoff.......Let us know what you find out from rallispec as far as warranty and such goes also...I would def be demanding rallispec to at least inspect the unit before you go paying someone for diag. noise in the shifter huh..another hint which points to a pinion bearing or another bearing in the trans.. Also It is somewhat normal to get that amount of play out of the front axles on pretty much any Subaru..especially with that amount of mileage, my Legacy has over 200k and I have a tad of play in mine also...
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 09-15-2009 at 10:25 PM.

I didn't mean to insult you or anyone by that comment, but I'm sure even you know what I mean. The auto industry has a TON of floating around and I've been given the run around by plenty of know it all mechanics. ... which happens to be one of the reasons why I like doing everything within my capability for my car on my own.

Anywho, I'm going to try and escape the clutches of my job for a little bit and get over to Jersey to have them give me their opinion on what the problem is.

Also It is somewhat normal to get that amount of play out of the front axles on pretty much any Subaru..especially with that amount of mileage, my Legacy has over 200k and I have a tad of play in mine also...
    The trans is Rebuilt, but according to Rallispec, when rebuilding a trans, the bearings that seem fine are kept to keep costs down. Now if I were to take my axles off, I could push the splined stubs that the axles attach to in and out. I'm pretty sure I could also rock them up, down, and side to side as well.

As far as the Axle's go, I would think that they would make more or less noise when I turned hard or got the suspension to work since they would be loaded differently than when driven in a straight line.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

i think the turbo is shot

Quote Originally Posted by AgentH View Post
    I feel the noise in the shifter when I'm cruising in gear. :-/
    This statement would lead me to think that something in the trans isn't correct or possibly your U-Joints in the drive shaft might be going bad.

From everything I've heard Rallispec does good work, so I'd think that the transmission should be right, but mistakes can and do happen.

I'd like to take a look at the car and see if we can shed some light on what might be the culprit.

No No man..lol...Just joshing around..lol... ...Like you mentioned my first stop would be back to rallispec see what they think than go from there...
    I didn't mean to insult you or anyone by that comment, but I'm sure even you know what I mean. The auto industry has a TON of floating around and I've been given the run around by plenty of know it all mechanics. ... which happens to be one of the reasons why I like doing everything within my capability for my car on my own.

Anywho, I'm going to try and escape the clutches of my job for a little bit and get over to Jersey to have them give me their opinion on what the problem is.

The trans is Rebuilt, but according to Rallispec, when rebuilding a trans, the bearings that seem fine are kept to keep costs down. Now if I were to take my axles off, I could push the splined stubs that the axles attach to in and out. I'm pretty sure I could also rock them up, down, and side to side as well.

As far as the Axle's go, I would think that they would make more or less noise when I turned hard or got the suspension to work since they would be loaded differently than when driven in a straight line.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    No No man..lol...Just joshing around..lol...
    Oh

I'd like to take a look at the car and see if we can shed some light on what might be the culprit.
    Tomorrow evening? I didn't want to bug you too much since I know you have a ton of stuff going down which includes your own car!...

I'm gonna hit up Rallispec tomorrow for sure. Man... the last thing I want to do is take the trans out again!

U-Joints in the drive shaft might be going bad.
    I checked it out and there was No play on it what so ever. I think it's solid.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

So.... I went to Rallispec on Friday. Jordi took it out and definitely felt as though it's coming from the trans. Per his request, I then did something I should have done the first time I put it on jack stands. With a friend in cabin, the car was put into drive while I crawled under the car and listened to parts of my trans using a mechanics stethoscope. Surely enough there was a wobbling sound coming from my trans every revolution. The sound was a lot louder towards the rear of the car, which is good news. Jordi said he can crack the case of the trans and replace certain things with it still in the car. Actually, that's really good news. The bad news is I will have to pay for labor and parts on a 6 month newly built trans. But, so long as the prob is fixed, I'll be greatly relieved!
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

There is no way you can split the case halves of the trans with the trans in the car...You can however remove the tailhousing and the transfer case with the trans in the car..Hopefully its not a bearing on the mainshaft or pinion shaft...Let us know how it turns out...

haha, good point! Poor use of terminology... yea, that's it.

...Will do!
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

The bad news is I will have to pay for labor and parts on a 6 month newly built trans. But, so long as the prob is fixed, I'll be greatly relieved!
    What? Why?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.