Gas Pedal Problem

This is a discussion on Gas Pedal Problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi there. I have just installed new headlights in my 08 Subaru wrx. In order to do so, I had ...

Gas Pedal Problem

Hi there. I have just installed new headlights in my 08 Subaru wrx. In order to do so, I had to remove the battery and the K&n Intake. After I was finished, and hooked everything back up, I notice a significant change in throttle response. If i just touch the gas, it doesn't do anything. Before, when I touched the gas pedal slightly, the engine would rev. What happened?

p.s Are 80 watt bulbs safe...?

Regards,
    Anthony

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If i'm not mistaken your ECU has to "relearn" how you drive.

Do a search because it's been covered here on the forum before...it should turn up.

Off the top of my head you can speed that process up if thats the case by gently braking while in 3rd gear...but alas it escapes me.

Unabombers Manifesto
    Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
    <-----#1 Fanboi
    Stink-Eye-Mob #19
    ECU cracked by RomRaider

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would look at the way the intake is put back together and check/clean the MAF connection.

The ECU shouldn't reset unless you drain the residual power and relearning isn't that severe.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

As mentioned the ECU has to relearn the way your drive. The biggest problem with this is throttle position because all the newer Subarus are throttle by-wire. Sometimes on higher mileage Subarus with throttle by wire you have to pull out the air intake and clean the carbon out of the throttle body fore the ECU is initially getting the wrong reading if there is any carbon in there ( sticking the throttle plate open a tad)...Give it a few days It should be back to normal..or If you have the time I would pull off the intake and clean the throttle plate/body and after doing that let the car idle for a few min...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    As mentioned the ECU has to relearn the way your drive. The biggest problem with this is throttle position because all the newer Subarus are throttle by-wire. Sometimes on higher mileage Subarus with throttle by wire you have to pull out the air intake and clean the carbon out of the throttle body fore the ECU is initially getting the wrong reading if there is any carbon in there ( sticking the throttle plate open a tad)...Give it a few days It should be back to normal..or If you have the time I would pull off the intake and clean the throttle plate/body and after doing that let the car idle for a few min...
    Just curious, how new are you talking when you say "newer subarus"? i have a 2002 wrx and i think its starting to do what Ant428 wrx is doing but everything is stock. to be more specific, at random times when i shift, let the clutch out, and hit the gas, there is no throttle response for X amount of seconds and then the the throttle comes back and the car jumps forward and normal driving resumes. i'm a noobie and this is freakin me out. thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by '02 wrx View Post
    Just curious, how new are you talking when you say "newer subarus"? i have a 2002 wrx and i think its starting to do what Ant428 wrx is doing but everything is stock. to be more specific, at random times when i shift, let the clutch out, and hit the gas, there is no throttle response for X amount of seconds and then the the throttle comes back and the car jumps forward and normal driving resumes. i'm a noobie and this is freakin me out. thanks in advance
    Your 02 WRX has a throttle cable...I would make sure the throttle isn't sticking and I would also make sure the throttle body isn't carboned up fore I've seen a carboned up TB cause problems like your describing...Also make sure the cable is free and isn't getting hung up on anything...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Your 02 WRX has a throttle cable...I would make sure the throttle isn't sticking and I would also make sure the throttle body isn't carboned up fore I've seen a carboned up TB cause problems like your describing...Also make sure the cable is free and isn't getting hung up on anything...
    thanks a bunch. sorry but i have one more question regarding the throttle body. this cleaning process i imagine would most likely mean taking the tb off. is that something i can do at home or is it best to take it to a dealer/shop? thanks again

no prob. man.. this is a shot from the hip from the info. youve given me..lol...no you can leave the throttle body on..however you will have to remove the intercooler which is pretty easy..two hose clamps a couple vacuum lines and 2 bolts...you should be able to move the throttle by hand and kind of feel whether its sticking or not...anyways maybe here will be of some assistance.. Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant428 View Post
    p.s Are 80 watt bulbs safe...?

Regards,
    Anthony
    80 watt bulbs are illegal and very unsafe for the other drivers on the road and your light housings due to the amount of heat they would put off.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

thanks again EvoEatr

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    80 watt bulbs are illegal and very unsafe for the other drivers on the road and your light housings due to the amount of heat they would put off.
    +1

This thread is for a bugeye, but the materials used for the headlight and harness are the same as your car.
    Headlights burning out - WRXFanatics.com WRX Forums

55/65 watt bulbs are what you should be using.

Quote Originally Posted by '02 wrx View Post
    thanks again EvoEatr

no prob man..let me know how it turns out...