Gas Pedal Problem
Results 1 to 12 of 12

This is a discussion on Gas Pedal Problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi there. I have just installed new headlights in my 08 Subaru wrx. In order to do so, I had ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Garrison NY
    Posts
    4

    Gas Pedal Problem

    Hi there. I have just installed new headlights in my 08 Subaru wrx. In order to do so, I had to remove the battery and the K&n Intake. After I was finished, and hooked everything back up, I notice a significant change in throttle response. If i just touch the gas, it doesn't do anything. Before, when I touched the gas pedal slightly, the engine would rev. What happened?

    p.s Are 80 watt bulbs safe...?

    Regards,
    Anthony

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User wrxnews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Crackalacka
    Posts
    192
    If i'm not mistaken your ECU has to "relearn" how you drive.

    Do a search because it's been covered here on the forum before...it should turn up.

    Off the top of my head you can speed that process up if thats the case by gently braking while in 3rd gear...but alas it escapes me.


    Unabombers Manifesto
    Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
    <-----#1 Fanboi
    Stink-Eye-Mob #19
    ECU cracked by RomRaider

  4. #3
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,040
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would look at the way the intake is put back together and check/clean the MAF connection.

    The ECU shouldn't reset unless you drain the residual power and relearning isn't that severe.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  5. #4
    Registered User EvoEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,839
    As mentioned the ECU has to relearn the way your drive. The biggest problem with this is throttle position because all the newer Subarus are throttle by-wire. Sometimes on higher mileage Subarus with throttle by wire you have to pull out the air intake and clean the carbon out of the throttle body fore the ECU is initially getting the wrong reading if there is any carbon in there ( sticking the throttle plate open a tad)...Give it a few days It should be back to normal..or If you have the time I would pull off the intake and clean the throttle plate/body and after doing that let the car idle for a few min...

  6. #5
    Registered User '02 wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    As mentioned the ECU has to relearn the way your drive. The biggest problem with this is throttle position because all the newer Subarus are throttle by-wire. Sometimes on higher mileage Subarus with throttle by wire you have to pull out the air intake and clean the carbon out of the throttle body fore the ECU is initially getting the wrong reading if there is any carbon in there ( sticking the throttle plate open a tad)...Give it a few days It should be back to normal..or If you have the time I would pull off the intake and clean the throttle plate/body and after doing that let the car idle for a few min...
    Just curious, how new are you talking when you say "newer subarus"? i have a 2002 wrx and i think its starting to do what Ant428 wrx is doing but everything is stock. to be more specific, at random times when i shift, let the clutch out, and hit the gas, there is no throttle response for X amount of seconds and then the the throttle comes back and the car jumps forward and normal driving resumes. i'm a noobie and this is freakin me out. thanks in advance

  7. #6
    Registered User EvoEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by '02 wrx View Post
    Just curious, how new are you talking when you say "newer subarus"? i have a 2002 wrx and i think its starting to do what Ant428 wrx is doing but everything is stock. to be more specific, at random times when i shift, let the clutch out, and hit the gas, there is no throttle response for X amount of seconds and then the the throttle comes back and the car jumps forward and normal driving resumes. i'm a noobie and this is freakin me out. thanks in advance
    Your 02 WRX has a throttle cable...I would make sure the throttle isn't sticking and I would also make sure the throttle body isn't carboned up fore I've seen a carboned up TB cause problems like your describing...Also make sure the cable is free and isn't getting hung up on anything...

  8. #7
    Registered User '02 wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Your 02 WRX has a throttle cable...I would make sure the throttle isn't sticking and I would also make sure the throttle body isn't carboned up fore I've seen a carboned up TB cause problems like your describing...Also make sure the cable is free and isn't getting hung up on anything...
    thanks a bunch. sorry but i have one more question regarding the throttle body. this cleaning process i imagine would most likely mean taking the tb off. is that something i can do at home or is it best to take it to a dealer/shop? thanks again

  9. #8
    Registered User EvoEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,839
    no prob. man.. this is a shot from the hip from the info. youve given me..lol...no you can leave the throttle body on..however you will have to remove the intercooler which is pretty easy..two hose clamps a couple vacuum lines and 2 bolts...you should be able to move the throttle by hand and kind of feel whether its sticking or not...anyways maybe here will be of some assistance.. Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com

  10. #9
    Moderator Donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Da boonies
    Posts
    6,044
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant428 View Post
    p.s Are 80 watt bulbs safe...?

    Regards,
    Anthony
    80 watt bulbs are illegal and very unsafe for the other drivers on the road and your light housings due to the amount of heat they would put off.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S




  11. #10
    Registered User '02 wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    24
    thanks again EvoEatr

  12. #11
    The Default One SeattleJeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    80 watt bulbs are illegal and very unsafe for the other drivers on the road and your light housings due to the amount of heat they would put off.
    +1

    This thread is for a bugeye, but the materials used for the headlight and harness are the same as your car.
    Headlights burning out - WRXFanatics.com WRX Forums

    55/65 watt bulbs are what you should be using.

  13. #12
    Registered User EvoEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by '02 wrx View Post
    thanks again EvoEatr

    no prob man..let me know how it turns out...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •