Steering Problems--Help!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Steering Problems--Help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm new to the site and I've already searched the forums and found that many other people have had the ...

Steering Problems--Help!

I'm new to the site and I've already searched the forums and found that many other people have had the same problems. However, I didn't really see a fix to the problem.
    My '04 WRX has had steering issues for 1 month now. The power steering "cuts-in and out" while driving. I thought I had a bad power steering pump, so I replaced it. That was not the problem because it's still doing it. I've been studying the ALLData steering diagrams, trying to figure out how the steering is setup and what might be the possible problem. There's a control valve that seems to control fluid to all the necessary parts. Could this be bad? Also, the parts stores lists a power steering filter available. Where does that go? Could it just be my filter is clogged? My car has right at 80k miles on it now.
    Has anyone had this problem? Again, the symptom: Steering tightens and loosens from side-to-side while driving. This is starting to get annoying. and I'm sure it's not safe either, as my wheel doesn't always straighten itself out after a turn.
    I've had it on the lift a couple of times and cannot find any visible signs of anything wrong. The belt seems fine, it was replaced 10 to 15k miles ago when I changed to lightweight pulley, still tight and doesn't squeak. The steering fluid is good, not leaked anywhere and not foamy.
    Also, when I hit a pothole or bump at low speeds, I can hear something rattle, like a loose heat sheild or something metal. I've tracked it to the left front wheel, a small knock when I move the wheel by hand back and forth. This may relate to the steering problem.
    Any ideas?
    HELP!!!!!!
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Come on guys. I know somebody out there has had similar problems because I read similar threads as this one. I just need help figuring out what's wrong with my steering. I've searched this site and 3 or 4 other WRX sites trying to find an answer and I've got nothing yet. I just want to drive my Rex normally again.
    Help guys!

Same p/s problem cuts in and out

Same problem here... Ive got an 02 wrx and two months after changing out the charge pipe with a perrin one, this started happening.... I changed out the ps pump, it helped a little but still got me no where... Ive been told its the rack, but thats a 700 part alone, and not a fun one to switch out... Im going to my other mechanic on monday to find out why.... Seem to only happen when the car is cold, once it warms up it gets better... The belt was just changed out, no noises or squeaks or leaks, just changed out the fluid as well.. Well see monday what he says...

I will mention this....Ive had similar problems like this before...The line that comes off of the power steering pump and goes to the reservoir, at the pump there is an o-ring there whenever this line is moved AT ALL it will unseat the o-ring and requires replacement of it to ensure proper sealing.. Personally I would replace this o-ring and bleed the system of air and see where you are...Easy and cheap enough to try before dropping big coin if it does happen to be a rack problem...

Thank goodness... I was beginning to think nobody else was having this problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    I will mention this....Ive had similar problems like this before...The line that comes off of the power steering pump and goes to the reservoir, at the pump there is an o-ring there whenever this line is moved AT ALL it will unseat the o-ring and requires replacement of it to ensure proper sealing.. Personally I would replace this o-ring and bleed the system of air and see where you are...Easy and cheap enough to try before dropping big coin if it does happen to be a rack problem...
    I will definately try the o-ring suggestion. I hadn't moved the line or even been messing around the engine compartment when I first noticed this problem, but driving may have jarred it loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer4h View Post
    Same problem here... Ive got an 02 wrx and two months after changing out the charge pipe with a perrin one, this started happening.... I changed out the ps pump, it helped a little but still got me no where... Ive been told its the rack, but thats a 700 part alone, and not a fun one to switch out... Im going to my other mechanic on monday to find out why.... Seem to only happen when the car is cold, once it warms up it gets better... The belt was just changed out, no noises or squeaks or leaks, just changed out the fluid as well.. Well see monday what he says...
    Let me know what you find out from your other mechanic, I've been fighting with this for about 2 months. Although I'm getting used to it, it's still aggravating. If it does turn out to be the rack, try locating a used one. I've been looking already incase that's the problem with mine. I've found several used ones for $150 to $200. Try car-part.com

Thanks guys.

No prob. fellas, I would find it odd if It was a rack problem..the only real steering rack problems I can remember Subarus having are on the newer Tribecas....I will put it this way I have the original rack in my 96 Legacy with over 200,000 miles and it still works fine..nonetheless please post what you find guys Im kind of interested.....

Okay, I didn't drive my WRX any this past Saturday and Sunday. I got in Monday morning and immediately noticed my steering was back to normal. I didn't get too excited because I figured it wouldn't last...but it did. Now, three days later, it still works like its suppose to, putting over 200 miles on it.
    So... I guess its fixed?
    If I could fix everything by not doing anything to it, life would be so much easier.
    Any ideas on what happened? Did I just have air in my lines and it bled itself out while sitting for 2 days? Or will it happen again?

same here

My ps did that two... Some days it would work fine and others it would be a pain in the butt. But now it is not gettin any better unless the car is going up or down a small hill... So im taking my car in monday to my mechanic and hes goin fix it and ill let you know what he says.... But id have it looked at still,,, winter is coming up and no ps in the snow is a thing i never wanna do again (1990 240sx with rb26dett with removed ps system).... So ill let ya know....

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer4h View Post
    My ps did that two... Some days it would work fine and others it would be a pain in the butt. But now it is not gettin any better unless the car is going up or down a small hill... So im taking my car in monday to my mechanic and hes goin fix it and ill let you know what he says.... But id have it looked at still,,, winter is coming up and no ps in the snow is a thing i never wanna do again (1990 240sx with rb26dett with removed ps system).... So ill let ya know....
    Thanks, definately let me know what you find out. I've driven all week so far without mine acting up. I'm just wandering if I had air in the lines from replacing my ps pump and it took this ling for it to work out.

Steering problem fixed..

Sorry it took so long to get back to ya... The problem with my steering was actually the steering knuckle before the rack.. It was all locked up.. 30 bucks later and its good as new... Check to see if its all rusted, spray some pb blast on the knuckle and see if it helps.. If it does a little, get it replaced..

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.