Turbo Lag!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Turbo Lag!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Tbone714 Your gonna kill me Donkey. No EM. Did you buy the car with all those mods ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone714 View Post
    Your gonna kill me Donkey. No EM.
    Did you buy the car with all those mods on there? I highly doubt your (or hope that your not) running a VF22 with stock injectors and no em. My stock turbo would max those injectors out. That is a HUGE problem.........and your just asking for trouble if you continue to run it like that.

Injector, Fuel Pump, and Fuel Rail FAQ: Read if you are thinking of upgrading! - NASIOC
    Turbo FAQ: Read if you are thinking of upgrading! - NASIOC
    Engine Management FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes, unfortunately I was a retard and bought a car with a bunch of stuff on it that i didn't know what it was (at the time) This is the first problem I've ran into that wasn't explainable tho, so not everything's all screwed up. I did do a test this after noon tho, and had some surprisingly good results. Since the Turbo inlet pipe is the suspected troublemaker, i went ahead a completely loosened the hose clamp that connects it to the turbo and went for a drive, and surprisingly the car ran exactly the same, which leads me to believe there's a crack or hole on the underside of the fitting that cant be seen, and that it's so bad i can drive the car without a hose clamp on the intake of the turbo and it runs exactly the same as with one on and tightened. So I'm about 95% sure that the plastic intake fitting has just kinda melted away due to an rather large aftermarket turbo, and no heat shield. I guess the next thing to do is ask if any of you guys know someone on the forum who's selling wanna these things. I'll try to post a pic so everyone know's what im talking about.
    Thanx for all your input.

well look into a new inlet hose. if it is torn or your driving around without a clamp then thats bad news man. you need a bigger inlet hose so when the turbo spools up and sucks in air the hose isnt collapsing on itself and reducing air flow. but thats just the performance side of it. if there is air escaping then the sensor's reading is incorrect and the wrong amount of fuel is being injected which is bad for the engine. so get that checked out man, and when you get a new inlet hose you'll notice a performance difference so its not just money out the window.

i got this one --> STi & WRX Performance Parts: Samco Turbo Inlet Hose, '02-'07 WRX & STi
    idk if that will work for yours or not, the perrin is cheaper but weaker so dont cheap out when your spending all this money in the first place, unless that will suffice, but idk for the vf22
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

Please follow the recommendations in this thread and get the EM checked out. If you are still on the stock map - you will lean out with a VF22 and cause engine damage. Even if you only run a few pounds of boost, there's still a big chance of problems.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

yeah i cant even stress it enough... u NEED a tune. the inlet hose is a big thing, but the tune is a MUST. find a little cash and a tuner and get that done ASAP
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

I Support ClubWRX
    It's possible the car is tuned and has the correct size injectors. What color are your injectors? Pink or light blue? You could also cap off the the turbo compressor outlet and cap off the turbo pipe inlet and use an aircompressor at low psi (20) to pressurize that area and see if any air leaks out.You could also have a slight boost leak in the FMIC system as well. Buy a Tactrix cable and download Romraider. This will allow to datalog the car. We could be here for weeks trying to "guess" over the internet.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Thanx for pointing that possibility out Donkey. After spraying a couple cans of engine degressor on this morning, it actually revealved that i am indeed running sti pinks (and i think stock rails), so im also prolly running some kind of tune, i just dont have clue which one, or how to find out if im running one. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone714 View Post
    Thanx for pointing that possibility out Donkey. After spraying a couple cans of engine degressor on this morning, it actually revealved that i am indeed running sti pinks (and i think stock rails), so im also prolly running some kind of tune, i just dont have clue which one, or how to find out if im running one. Any suggestions?
    ok thats much better. im guessing you are running a sufficient tune because most ppl that would put those types of mods on this type of car would know to tune it. Personally i took mine to a tuner and they hooked up to my car and read the tune, but im sure there are easier ways these days.

Hey boys,
    Back with some more info to chew on. Hope it helps. I built my "custom" Turbo pressure tester today, and everything went fairly well until i actually hooked it up. I set my regulator at 10psi and started giving it air. I prolly held it for about 30 seconds, but didnt hear any hissing noises or anything like that, so i bumped it up to 13, still nothing. 15, not a thing, and even at 20psi, i had couldnt hear anything that sounded like air coming out. So i unhooked the compressor and disconnected my BOV, thinking that all the "pressurized air would come out" but nothing did...So i hooked it up again and left the BOV unhooked, and i soon as i started pumping i could feel air coming out of the thee recirculatory exhaust. Good right? So i then again hooked the BOV up (like my 1st attempt) and started pumping thee air in. Repeated all the steps i did in attempt 1 ending the test with (That i could tell) 1. No pressure being built up in the system and 2. No sound or feel of any pre-turbo leaks. Someone please tell me where i went wrong in my Test.

thanx in advance again..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12