Cam Gear problem
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cam Gear problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright so I've recently come upon a problem, my L-EX cam gear has broken along with the timing belt. I ...

Cam Gear problem

Alright so I've recently come upon a problem, my L-EX cam gear has broken along with the timing belt. I was wondering what the consequences of this could be on my engine, and if it's possible to use the 2.5L Sti cams on an EJ20. Any input is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Take a look at some of the other broken timing belt threads.
    ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums - Search Results

The EJ series engines are interference style. At minimum you will need to pull the heads and replace some valves.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    Take a look at some of the other broken timing belt threads.
    ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums - Search Results

The EJ series engines are interference style. At minimum you will need to pull the heads and replace some valves.
    Ahhh man, well thanks anyway.

There are a few rare cases I've seen where DOHC EJ's have jumped time and no valves got bent...Its like a once in a blue moon thing but you don't want to go pulling the thing apart if you dont know for a fact anything else is wrong. I would be installing a new LH exhaust cam sprocket,tensioner, and t-belt and see if the thing starts first...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    There are a few rare cases I've seen where DOHC EJ's have jumped time and no valves got bent...Its like a once in a blue moon thing but you don't want to go pulling the thing apart if you dont know for a fact anything else is wrong. I would be installing a new LH exhaust cam sprocket,tensioner, and t-belt and see if the thing starts first...
    I was gonna do that but if the internals "were" damaged wouldn't that only further damage it?

You will know immediately when you start it if the valves are bent because you will def hear/feel it, It will idle like hell. If things are damaged things are damaged, the thing will have to come apart. I will put it this way if the valves are bent the valves are bent either way they will have to be replaced..All I know is this is what I would do before I just pulled the heads off or the engine out...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    You will know immediately when you start it if the valves are bent because you will def hear/feel it, It will idle like hell. If things are damaged things are damaged, the thing will have to come apart. I will put it this way if the valves are bent the valves are bent either way they will have to be replaced..All I know is this is what I would do before I just pulled the heads off or the engine out...
    Alright, I'll definantely give that a try first.. Thankfully I've only gotten as far as removing the wiring and downpipe.

Quote Originally Posted by GuamKid View Post
    Alright, I'll definantely give that a try first.. Thankfully I've only gotten as far as removing the wiring and downpipe.
    you can keep the downpipe off if you like..lol...if it does start it will sound cool...I cant stress this enough though..make sure the timing marks are lined up.. check this out..i used this when i did my first EJ DOHC t-belt years ago..... http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/2.5Timing.pdf
    like i mentioned you should know immediately if the valves are bent...klack klack klack sound kind of..

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Already? Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Already? Yikes.
    Yup! But its not the Subie's fault, it's a drunk driver and our head on collision.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.