Misfire Cyl 1 and 3, don't know where to start
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Misfire Cyl 1 and 3, don't know where to start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My car through a CEL today then i scanned it and it said cylinder misfire in 1 and 3, i ...

Misfire Cyl 1 and 3, don't know where to start

My car through a CEL today then i scanned it and it said cylinder misfire in 1 and 3, i checked if anything was loose like the coil packs etc. If anyone one has some info on what could be causing this it would be greatly appreciated.
    2004 WRX (currently driving)
    2000 Audi S4 APR tuned (sold)
    2002 WRX wagon ( sold )
    1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles on the vehicle? When was the last time the plugs where changed? Is the car actually missing like do you hear and/or feel it?

There is 103,000 on the car, i changed the plugs a month ago, and i feel nothing, it runs as if it was normal.
    2002 WRX wagon ( sold )

There was a thread open a while ago I replied to where someone had a similar issue...I believe there is a reprogram available from Subaru. Before you go digging around ( especially if you don't actually feel/hear it misfiring) I would look into that factory re flash fore I believe it applies to your WRX..

Definitely swing by the stealership with that one. If they are unable to fix or locate the exact problem you could try running a DIY ground kit Grounding mod FAQ the right way thread pics too! - NASIOC I was reading it the other day and a few people were having the same problem until they did this.

Hope it helps
    <-----#1 Fanboi
    Stink-Eye-Mob #19
    ECU cracked by RomRaider

I Support ClubWRX
    There are about 5-10 posts recently on this subject.

NASIOC - View Single Post - coil question
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Wellllllll i called the stealership and they said " That could be possible BUT your gonna have to make a appointment for a techs to diagnose the problem". Typical.... 45 dollars a hour for diagnosis. trying to make money, they cant just tell me if there is a update for my car or not. And thanks for the link im looking into it
    2002 WRX wagon ( sold )

There is an update/reflash available for your car. at least there should be. I looked on Subarunet today at work and the reprogram wasn't in there for either the 02 or 03 WRX's, So I asked our master tech and he pulled out a list of updates on paper and sure enough there is one actually there is a couple. Apparently they have to send the ECU out to Subaru now in order to reflash it, which is kind of odd fore we dont really have to do it for any other reflashes...

it keeps coming on and off, and when the CEL is off it misfires really bad, which is odd because the CEL is off. but when its on it runs fine. it goes on and off everytime i drive.
    2002 WRX wagon ( sold )

Did you pull the codes again? Is it still cyl # 1 and 3? So It is actually misfiring now? You mentioned before it runs as if it is normal...

Registered User Thecabindweller's Avatar
    its only going to get worse, trust me ive been dealing with this for a year...

02 wrx misfires and runs rich

this may give you an idea^^^

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    not sure if it is the problem or not i recently went through the same thing and i made the mistake of fut the plugs in the wrong order. I had the front plugs in the back and the back plugs in the front. Noob move on my part but didnt cost anything to fix, i had the same cylinders misfiring though.

theres front and rear plugs? and i am going to take the plugs out and gap them and see if she'll work again
    2002 WRX wagon ( sold )

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    the wiring harness is specified to go to a specific cylinder, specific plugs

oh i thought you meant the plugs themselves. Now my CEL is flashing and theres a misfire around 4500k. Which means theres a misfire and can damge my emissions system. so i dont know what to do yet.
    2002 WRX wagon ( sold )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.