by pass valve
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on by pass valve within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi. i thought this would be easier than searching through tons of threads but i just bought a can of ...

by pass valve

hi. i thought this would be easier than searching through tons of threads but i just bought a can of seafoam and i want to know where and how to "inject" through the by pass valve i've heard so much about. i'm just about to do my first oil change on this car and thought this would be an added bonus.

also, would it be a bad idea to switch to synthetic oil with my car having 110 kilometers (68750 miles appr.) i live in canada where it gets very cold in the winter.
    2004 WRX, 5 spd

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would def. not be injecting the sea foam into the vacuum line for the BPV..look right next to your alternator there should be a vacuum line coming off of the intake manifold for the EVAP canister purge solenoid...What I do is inject in threw there so It can get evenly distributed between the intake runners... You can really change to synthetic oil whenever, I've seen people do it after there first few oil changes and I've seen people use it in cars with over 100k miles...Its really up to you..

thank you for clearing up so much for me. i'm hoping to awaken the "beast" i've heard so much about (the boxer engine).
    on a side note, would it be beneficial to start off with a semi synthetic before going to a straight synthetic oil? the engine doesn't burn any oil.
    2004 WRX, 5 spd

No problem man, Its really your call...Personally Ive used synthetic in my WRX since I bought it. As I'm sure your aware synthetic oil has more additives and provides slightly better protection. If you feel like using synthetic go for it! Its not going to hurt anything changing from straight oil to synthetic or vice versa (Usually)...lol..I personally think semi-synthetics are a rip off..either go the whole way or dont....I seafoamed my Legacy when I first bought it with around 170,000 miles on it and I noticed a hell of a difference in just the general overall performance of the car, If your feeling really inclined you could also pull the intercooler and clean out the throttle body, they like to get gummed up with carbon over time....If you do choose to go with syntethic there are a couple good threads on here with links about which oil is "best" and all that happy stuff...Personally I like Valvoline Syn-Power...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    I would def. not be injecting the sea foam into the vacuum line for the BPV..
    Why not? The BPV line is center of the manifold by the PCV valve. The brake booster line or FPR line are the only ones contained to one cylinder.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

He said he wanted to "inject through the BPV"..I personally wouldn't want to put sea foam through my BPV...

thanks a lot for the help. appreciate it.
    2004 WRX, 5 spd

no prob. dude. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    no prob. dude. Good luck!
    just to follow up. i used the vacuum line right by the alternator to feed the seafoam in. it worked pretty good. lots of white smoke (i loved it). also i've noticed it idle a little better and seems to have a bit more "jump" in its step. thanks for the help.
    2004 WRX, 5 spd

no prob dude...glad it turned out well...

what is this sea foam stuff you guys are talking about

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    SEA FOAM Motor Treatment is a 100% pure petroleum product that safely and effectively cleans internal fuel and oil system components, helping your gasoline or diesel engine run cleaner and more efficiently. SEA FOAM is an EPA-registered product, and will not harm engine components, seals, gaskets, catalytic converters or oxygen sensors.

SEA FOAM liquefies gum and varnish deposits or internal engine components, removing carbon deposits, freeing sticky valve lifters and rings curing rough idle, pinging and hesitation problems. By using SEA FOAM to eliminate varnish and carbon buildup, mechanics can more accurately diagnose mechanical problems that may exist. That is why Sea Foam has been so popular with professional mechanics for over 65 years.

As a fuel system additive, Sea Foam will clean fuel injectors, clean carbon, gum and varnish deposits, add lubricity to fuel, stabilize fuel for 2 years and control moisture.
    Motor Treatment - Sea Foam

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

ohhhh that stuff sounds like it's useful. Ima go buy some! so ijust put it into my vacuum line off my intake Mani?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by znn1337 View Post
    ohhhh that stuff sounds like it's useful. Ima go buy some! so ijust put it into my vacuum line off my intake Mani?
    I think it's a 16oz can. 1/3 in the vacuum line as indicated, 1/3 in gas tank, and the other 3rd i believe in the oil. Run it, change the oil.

Sea Foam Usage Video
    -AJ | Hawk-Eye Alliance #55 | Stink-Eye Mob #1
    NASIOC - Narcissistic, Arrogant, Self Involved, Oligarchy of Cryptorchidisms

2011 Chevy Camaro SS RS Package & 2011 Honda Pilot
    Used to have: Protune Stage 2 2010 Subaru WRX
    Used to have: Stage 4 2006 Subaru WRX

Add me to Facebook

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.