P0500 - vehicle speed sensor malfunction...diagnosing help please!

This is a discussion on P0500 - vehicle speed sensor malfunction...diagnosing help please! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright guys, I have a 2002 WRX 5-speed running the P0500 code. The car has an 05 STI gauge swap ...

P0500 - vehicle speed sensor malfunction...diagnosing help please!

Alright guys, I have a 2002 WRX 5-speed running the P0500 code. The car has an 05 STI gauge swap but from what I've read this shouldn't affect anything. The speedometer and odometer don't work, and the car basically has a lowered rev limiter. If I delete the code, the car runs great until the computer throws the code again. I took out the vehicle speed sensor...looks fine except for the metal shaft that goes into the transmission was just kinda sitting in there loose. What is this part supposed to be like? Is the shaft supposed to come sealed into the vss? Also, how would I test to see if the wires connected are carrying a current? I'd just like to be sure that everything's working right before I drop another $100 on a part that won't fix the problem. Thanks everyone. I can attach a pic of the vss if that helps.
    Last edited by 02_wrx; 09-05-2009 at 02:28 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles are on the car? When you spin the speed sensor it should produce an AC voltage..I believe the quicker you spin it the higher the voltage should go and vice versa...I would hook up a multi meter to it and set it on AC and spin the sensor and see what you get...I suppose there is a possibility that the drive gear for the sensor broke, however I don't want to throw up any red flags before testing of the sensor takes place..I've seen a couple of these go bad on the 5 speeds but it's not that common of a problem...

The car has about 100,000 miles. I'm not exactly sure how many because the odometer has not been working since I bought it. Alright I bought a multimeter but I'm not sure the best way to go about testing the vss. Should I take it out of the car, or would it be best to clamp onto the wires leading to the vss and turning the wheel? I'm totally new to working with electrical issues, so the more details the better. Thanks a ton...I'm really hoping to avoid a shop.

hmmm well you you can try unplugging it and hooking up the multimeter with it still installed in the trans...I would be putting the car in the air for this..I would run the car and with the increase in wheel speed you should notice the AC voltage increasing on the VSS.. Personally I would remove the VSS from the car though and spin it by hand its much easier, I do believe the VSS and the gear on the end of the VSS are two seperate pieces. I know to replace that little gear you have to pull the trans and split the case halves, the gear is held in by a snap ring ... take a look here might be of some assistance... Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com

Well, after a day of tracing wires around and testing currents, the problem is fixed! I now have a fully working speedo / odometer and can drive the car normally again due to the absence of my previous 4700 rpm limit. The manual helped a lot, thanks a ton for your help! Turns out one of the wires wasn't making a great contact in a terminal...luckily a free fix!

Good to hear it was simple!

I have the same problem wich manual did you use?