another oil question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on another oil question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Sorry this is kinda long. I have an 07 impreza wrx with 36000 miles. I have been reading some of ...

another oil question

Sorry this is kinda long. I have an 07 impreza wrx with 36000 miles. I have been reading some of the threads on oil. I have seen not to use 5w 30 and also have seen that 5w 30 is noisy in our motors. Which i am getting some noise out of my motor. I am sure there is 5w 30 in the motor cause thats what the dealer put in it when i bought it. Also according to those motor oil bibles i have been reading. If i am understanding some of that stuff right. The number before the w stands for cold viscocity and the number after stands for hot viscocity.
    To try to get rid of the noise and for better protection would it be better to use 10w 40 instead of the 10w 30 because there is only the cold viscocity number change.
    Also anyone ever use or heard anything good or bad about that lucas oil additive good idea or bad idea to use
    Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Stay away from all additives - they are not needed. 5W-30 is recommended by Subaru, not just the dealers. It is all I have ever used.

Read on: Motor oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

thanks i really wasnt planning on using the additive. just heard some people that have muscle cars talking about it. doesnt subaru recommend the 5w30 oil for fuel economy.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by irvin787878 View Post
    thanks i really wasnt planning on using the additive. just heard some people that have muscle cars talking about it. doesnt subaru recommend the 5w30 oil for fuel economy.
    They do not clarify why they recommend the oil. There are a number of viscosities recommended, not just 5W-30; check the manual for your car and you'll see a range of values.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    They do not clarify why they recommend the oil. There are a number of viscosities recommended, not just 5W-30; check the manual for your car and you'll see a range of values.
    This.

Choose the weight that is appropriate for your climate, as specified by the owners manual. Then choose any brand you like that meets the specified standards, again, found in the manual.

/thread

I have looked at the manual. Looks like in my climate i can use any of the viscosity. The 10w30 and 10w40 i can use it to alittle blow 0 degress and above 100 degress. I should be fine with any kind of oil.Thats why i am asking if 10w40 would be better to use than 10w30 thanks for your help.
    Last edited by irvin787878; 09-05-2009 at 08:04 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    That depends on what "better" means to you. If by better you mean "produces less wear in the engine" then the only way to do is to either generate your own used oil analysis data or look at that data generated by others from the same oils in the same motor that you discuss. If by better you mean "makes the motor consume less oil" then that you can figure out empirically.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    These oil threads have got to end. All you have to do is read the owners manual or the factory repair manuals. Most of the people spouting off 75% of this info have no idea what they are talking about anyways(the above is the other 25% that post actual intelligent and spot on info which is a miracle by most forums).

Last edited by Donkey; 09-05-2009 at 11:24 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.