CEL Code

This is a discussion on CEL Code within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm poping a P0102 code. Basically this means that there is a problem with the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor ...

CEL Code

I'm poping a P0102 code.
    Basically this means that there is a problem with the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor or circuit. A more technical description would be that the MAF circuit had lower than expected voltage (air flow).

When I clear the code, it shuts down the engine. Restart the engine and its back. I checked all the wires, they all look good, the MAF is very clean, looks almost new.
    Any suggestions to try before I start spending money?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What year car? List all your mods. If you can tell me "the MAF is clean" then you probably really don't what exactly to look at. Search for the tutorial on "MAF cleaning" and try cleaning the MAF with the appropriate cleaner then reset the ECU.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

'02 WRX. ....mods related to this would be:
    Perrin up-pipe
    Invidia bellmouth down
    Injen intake
    16G turbo
    larger IC

The little blub on the MAF is amber and the contacts are clean, no sute. I pulled the connecter apart, the brass contacts are clean, etc.

Did you recently just add the intake or change it from a different one? In all instances its a good idea to buy the $4 MAF cleaner just to make sure.

CAI was one when i bought it. CEL light came on shortly after I bought it, but I havent messed around with it until now.
    Last edited by Splix; 09-03-2009 at 08:23 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    When did the problem start? Was it after the installation of the intake? It almost impossible to visibly tell if the MAF is contaminated. The amber bulb is the IAT sensor and oil from aftermarket filters will easily contaminate the MAF sensor. The actual MAF sensor is the tiny wires down in the tube.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

how recently did you buy the car? I'm wondering if the previous owner had some sort of tuning device (UTEC, Cobb) and took it out before he sold it...just a thought

Did you take it out? Did you maybe put it in backwards?
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Quote Originally Posted by CactusAndy View Post
    how recently did you buy the car? I'm wondering if the previous owner had some sort of tuning device (UTEC, Cobb) and took it out before he sold it...just a thought
    Ya thats most likely the solution. I bought it a year ago. When I bought it, I found a bunch of stuff he's taken out before he sold it.
    My wife drove it right after we bought it, and I just recently started to drive it as my main car in the past few weeks, so I'm finding and trying to fix all these little things.

As far as being put in backwards, I'm not sure. Its in the same way its always been in. The plug of the sensor is towards the front of the car.
    Last edited by Splix; 09-04-2009 at 06:04 AM.