inspection needed help!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on inspection needed help!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok ok ok i know it might sound like every other posts on here about passing inspections, but i have ...

inspection needed help!!!

ok ok ok i know it might sound like every other posts on here about passing inspections, but i have a unique situation.

i have a 2002 wrx, stage four with supporting mods ( vf22, greddy front mount, so and so on...), my problem is this: i have no check engine lights, because my accessports and my tune wiped them out, with a catless invidia dp. when i go to get it inspected the obdII tests fails me because it reads two error codes. one for rear o2 sensor and one for catalytic converter being "not ready". when i talk to my tuning guys about it they say that they have never seen anything like that before and that there must be something mechanically wrong with the car. ???? im lost and am not sure where to start. i would just get a new o2 sensor but to blow $145 when that might not be it would suck. and if i do get a new sensor should i do a transitor mod/cel fix on it or not?

i originally had just the tbe on when i first got the car before the tune so i had to do the transistor mod/cel fix, but when i got it tuned i never took that out should i have?

im looking for someone with the same set up that could help me get my car back up and running.. thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Both of those errors are related to your turboback.

2 options:

Temporarily reinstall your stock downpipe and reset your ECU.

-OR-

Find someone who will force your car to pass.
    Last edited by brfatal; 09-01-2009 at 05:57 AM.

wow!! thanks for the reply sent so quickly,

but i have already done that and the sensor reads not ready still. and my tuner said that with the tune i have the cel for those are disabled, therefore something else is "mechanically" wrong with it. thats one of the main reasons why i got the accessport, so i wouldnt have to play weekend downpipe surgery every time i needed an inspection

i read before that the transistor/cel fix i put in the rear o2 sensor could be causing it to be not ready. if that is true, it would be much easier for me to just wiggly my butt under the car and change the o2 sensor. i dont want to have to go through switching out downpipes just to put it back on a day.

im looking for someone that has run into the same situation:

stage four 2002 wxr
    accessport with tune to eliminate cel
    catless downpipe
    cel fix in rear o2 sensor
    and had trouble passing inspection because sensor was not ready
    Last edited by sliverblur; 09-01-2009 at 06:13 AM.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Those are the same 2 errors I have (and I have a new rear O2 sensor), also with an AP. I took the latter option because it was less troublesome.

so im going to have to switch downpipes each year for inspection, or should i invest into a catted downpipe?

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    You can try that. But there's no guarantee that you'll pass.

anybody else got any ideas???

I Support ClubWRX
    A "not ready" is not the same as a fixed CEL, even though from the driver's perspective they look the same (that is, neither generates a light on the dash). To pass, you need two things: sensors that report "ready" and check OK, meaning the sensors have to be substituted for mechanical fixes if you lack them, and an inspector that is barely intelligent enough to stand upright, no more.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    1: Remove the cel fix and plug in the rear o2 sensor.
    2: Reset the computer and drive the car for about a week.
    3: Take the car to inspection and pass.

i have a similar set up, but no CEL

What state do you live in? Im in NY, where they require a visual inspection of the cats.

Well what i did was i took my car to a guy that passes anyone no matter what. Its 80 bucks to do it, but i rather do that then replace my exhaust every year, and then back.

It's illegal, but like i said, i rather do that then go through the hassle of swapping my exhaust. Plus im already running a catless setup, which is also illegal.
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx0131 View Post
    i have a similar set up, but no CEL

What state do you live in? Im in NY, where they require a visual inspection of the cats.

Well what i did was i took my car to a guy that passes anyone no matter what. Its 80 bucks to do it, but i rather do that then replace my exhaust every year, and then back.

It's illegal, but like i said, i rather do that then go through the hassle of swapping my exhaust. Plus im already running a catless setup, which is also illegal.
    That's no longer an option in some states such as Jersey. The shops cannot issue a sticker unless the car is plugged in.

Look at it this way. When your ECU checks if the cats are working, it uses the rear o2 sensor.

The sensor has to read within a certain set of parameters like this:
    Running clean <--[.. o.. ]--> Polluting

If you simply remove the cats, the ECU will read this and give you a cel:
    Running clean <--[.... ] o --> Polluting

If you install a plug in cel fix, it will defeat the cel by pinning the reading in the "clean" direction, but will not let the sensor go into "ready" mode:
    Running clean <-- o [.... ]--> Polluting

The Accessport simply opens up the parameters farther to allow the sensor to read "clean" and allow it to stay in a "ready" status:
    Running clean <-- [............... o..... ]--> Polluting

For the record, every two years my car has cruised through inspection with stage 4 and a certain lack of kitties.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    That's no longer an option in some states such as Jersey. The shops cannot issue a sticker unless the car is plugged in.

Look at it this way. When your ECU checks if the cats are working, it uses the rear o2 sensor.

The sensor has to read within a certain set of parameters like this:
    Running clean <--[.. o.. ]--> Polluting

If you simply remove the cats, the ECU will read this and give you a cel:
    Running clean <--[.... ] o --> Polluting

If you install a plug in cel fix, it will defeat the cel by pinning the reading in the "clean" direction, but will not let the sensor go into "ready" mode:
    Running clean <-- o [.... ]--> Polluting

The Accessport simply opens up the parameters farther to allow the sensor to read "clean" and allow it to stay in a "ready" status:
    Running clean <-- [............... o..... ]--> Polluting

For the record, every two years my car has cruised through inspection with stage 4 and a certain lack of kitties.
    yea i know, but what the guy did was plug in another car that was there, and then entered my car's info on the computer.
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    yea i know, but what the guy did was plug in another car that was there, and then entered my car's info on the computer.
    It's just a matter of time before his license is revoked. When he does that, it records conflicting data from the ECU of the car that was plugged in. That's when they start sending in agents posing as customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    It's just a matter of time before his license is revoked. When he does that, it records conflicting data from the ECU of the car that was plugged in. That's when they start sending in agents posing as customers.
    yeah my manager told me they do random inspections

when that happens, guess i'll have to find me a new "inspector"
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    yeah my manager told me they do random inspections

when that happens, guess i'll have to find me a new "inspector"
    Yep. Car has to be plugged into a machine and Texas too but I still got a valid sticker recently. I wasn't watching what he did, but I was still passed. If he falls thru the cracks, I know someone else who will do it. My inspection before that someone just plugged their in WRX and put the sticker on mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast