confused on oil

This is a discussion on confused on oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey everyone, i have been going throught treads and i keep reading different oil stories. i have been using mobil ...

confused on oil

hey everyone, i have been going throught treads and i keep reading different oil stories. i have been using mobil 1 10-40 i use it cause i live in ca and ita been in the hundreds every day. should i go to 5-30 or 10-30 or stay with 10-40 also i know everyone has there own oil but what do u chose castrol synthetic or mobil 1. oh and the car has 85000 miles so its not a new engine thats also why i went to a thicker grade, the car is also a stage two and tbe no other mods.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What is your usual oil change interval? What consumption, if any, do you see during that interval?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i change it like ever 2500 or 3000 just cause iam picky on it aand no it doesnt burn or leak

I Support ClubWRX
    OK that's a very frequent change interval. I assume from your name that you have the 2.5L STi. See the oil TSB and select an oil that fits the criteria stated (as revised) by Subaru:

Oil TSB for 2006+ Subarus

Since you have an 05, you need ILSAC: GF-3 - or - API: SL or better oil. If M1 10W-40 meets those criteria you can comfortably use it despite Subaru's recommendation for a 5W-30. I am assuming you are out of warranty. If you don't have a bottle to check the specs go to their website, Mobil1.com, and use the drop down menu.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i just checked it and it meets API SL/CF. does this thicker oil cause hp loss or does it not matter sice its not that big of a difference what do u use and yeah its a 2.5 l sti with no warranty.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmsti05 View Post
    i just checked it and it meets API SL/CF.
    Since it's SL you should be fine. Note that the complete spec is SL "Energy Conserving" but I do not think any 40 oil will meet that -- I may be mistaken; in any case the manufacturer does, if memory serves, allow for a 10W-40 in warm climates (check your owner's manual).

does this thicker oil cause hp loss or does it not matter sice its not that big of a difference
    It does not matter.

what do u use and yeah its a 2.5 l sti with no warranty.
    I use M1 5W-40 "Turbodiesel" or M1 0W-40 "European Formula" depending on which is cheapest or simply which is available. Others use other oils. The key is to follow the maker's specifications and if there is any doubt about the oil's performance or how suitable the oil is for your circumstances, do a used oil analysis by sending a sample off to a lab. Blackstone Labs is one such lab; there are a few others too I think.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 09-01-2009 at 12:01 AM.

cool thanks for the help

additional info... i'l stick to that.

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S