I just changed my oil and now my car doesn't run the same... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on I just changed my oil and now my car doesn't run the same... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Findus11 I know that when i switched to royal purple, my car felt like a whole new ...

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus11 View Post
    I know that when i switched to royal purple, my car felt like a whole new beast!
    I know when I switched to RP my motor when bang soon after! Spun a bearing @ 70K on the stock EJ20. Then not thinking it was the oil, I used RP on my second motor. Another bang! Spun 3 bearings @ 550 miles on my EJ25. I'm now sticking to Castrol 10W30 dino per my tuner on my new EJ25 block.
    Last edited by 20WRX04; 09-01-2009 at 04:16 PM.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

youre kidding...
    Hawk Eye #1991
    Dirty Crew #11
    Military Militia #1991
    I still don't know how I got this car...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    I know when I switched to RP my motor when bang soon after! Spun a bearing @ 70K on the stock EJ20. Then not thinking it was the oil, I used RP on my second motor. Another bang! Spun 3 bearings @ 550 miles on my EJ25. I'm now sticking to Castrol 10W30 dino per my tuner on my new EJ25 block.
    We had a similar experience, just not quite as catastrophic.

When we were running our circle track cars, we experimented with:

Royal Purple
    Amsoil
    Redline
    Syntec
    Mobil 1

Four out of five came out black and burnt after a 100 lap race. Only one didn't. Mobil 1. We started using Mobil 1 after that. When we sent our engine in for it's mid season refresh, our motor builder said he had never seen an engine in such good shape. He had been using Redline until then. He has since switched all of his engines to Mobil 1. That is now the only oil we trust in our $25k race engines.

hate moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    We had a similar experience, just not quite as catastrophic.

When we were running our circle track cars, we experimented with:

Royal Purple
    Amsoil
    Redline
    Syntec
    Mobil 1

Four out of five came out black and burnt after a 100 lap race. Only one didn't. Mobil 1. We started using Mobil 1 after that. When we sent our engine in for it's mid season refresh, our motor builder said he had never seen an engine in such good shape. He had been using Redline until then. He has since switched all of his engines to Mobil 1. That is now the only oil we trust in our $25k race engines.

I like Mobil 1 and am not a hater, but after reviewing all the UOA's on GC and hearing/feeling the difference in my car, I'm now moving off M1.

However, I suspect it has more to do with the weight and properties of GC rather than a brand improvement over M1. People run other weights of M1, rather than the 5w-30, with great success. Of course, a lot have success with 5w-30 M1 as well.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post

However, I suspect it has more to do with the weight and properties of GC rather than a brand improvement over M1.
    You are correct. Oil viscosity will have a direct impact on performance. When we dyno our engines, we can easily see another 10-12 hp increase when the oil temp rises too high. While we can see an increase in performance, we can also do damage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12