02 wrx misfires and runs rich
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 02 wrx misfires and runs rich within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; well my 02 wrx has been misfire and running rich for a while.at first i thought it was the spark ...

02 wrx misfires and runs rich

well my 02 wrx has been misfire and running rich for a while.at first i thought it was the spark plugs which stopped the misfires on 2 3 and 4. but still misfires, but when its going up hill in 4th or 5th gear the cel will flash for about 5 seconds and not stay on and in all the times Ive reset my ecu my o2 sensor has yet to complete like its been about 230 miles since the last time i reset the ecu and my o2 sensor (front bank im assuming) has not completed. so the question im asking is that is it the a bad o2 sensor causing all of this or do i need a new ecu all together or is it something different ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What kind of spark plugs did you replace them with? How many miles are on the car? So the car only misfires under load? What cyl is misfiring now? Did you pull the code? Wait..What??? Are you saying that you know you have a bad front o2? Just haven't got around to replacing it yet? I would be hooking up a scanner and looking at the live data stream when this misfire occurs...The only reason your CEL will flash is when your getting enough unburned fuel to the cat for it to catch fire...So that being said it sounds to me like you have a dead miss...I would recheck your plugs and when you narrow it down to what cylinder it is I would be swapping coil packs with a known good cylinder....Of course theres always a plethra of other possible causes ( fuel injector, valve etc etc etc...) however start with the cheapest and easiest...
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 08-27-2009 at 02:59 AM.

the plugs are ngk it has about 133,000 miles. i already swaped the coil packs ,re gaped the spark plugs check the compression, changed the timing belt, injectors are good just cleaned them when i did the spark plugs. its threw misfire in cyl 1 code but it hassent thrown a code since i re gaped the spark plugs and since i reset my ecu which scares me because usually misfire codes come up quick. i did narrow it down to cylinder 1 its the only one that i feel struggle when i touch it and also a spotty rough idle (like smooth idle for a lil bit then rough for a sec then smooth for sec then rough idle for a cupple seconds) and i plan on hooking up a scaner probally tommorrow. im almost narowing it down to a short in the wires in cylinder one or its all being caused by the bad o2 sensor or my ecu has gone bad all together what im trying to figure out is the most common reasons for all my symtoms to be happening like i have a feeling its all interrelated. and i wanna see what could be causing this sort of chain reaction.
    Last edited by tombomb77; 08-27-2009 at 06:08 AM. Reason: its 6 am and i havent slept yet

Come to think of it...some of the 02 WRX's I believe had a reflash for this sort of problem...before you diag. any further I would call up the dealership and ask about this... By the way are there any mods on the car?
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 08-27-2009 at 04:28 PM.

sorry for the late reply but i had the diag done and basicly they told me they cant do anything till the cel comes on which pisses me off but the told me i had an exaust leak which might mean unregulated air comeing in which would throw off the o2 sensor and make run rich and make it misfire which seems to make sense because i do seem to feel a rougher idle up hill then down hill but i personally think that the misfire is coming from the car running rich then anything else as for engine mods on the car nothing but a k&n short ram intake im just wait ing to get some time off work to change my front bank o2 sensor hoping that stops it from running rich then then if it still misfires then i gotta look towards the whole ecu update unless u think the culprit is the whole ecu alltogether

oh man my cel just came on misfires on cyl 1-4 now i feel like im back to square 1 lol

CEL is on?...take it back to the dealer..I would look into that ECU reprogram first if i were you..no sense in chasing something that could be solved by a factory reflash...

good idea how much do u think that would run me or is it a subaru recall type thing

but is that reflash only for a falty cel or is the ecu controling the phyiscal misfire as well?

I believe its for the ECU...I don't believe its a recall...do a search here or on NASIOC and your bound to find some info. on it...We usually charge around an hour for a reprogram if the vehicle is not under warranty and its not part of a recall campaign..

heres an update well its $135 to do a ecu reflash which i have appt next week to do but in the mean time the running rich hapened to be a $30 exaust leak aand the gas smell stoped and as for the phyiscal misfire when it was idle it would shake a lil i was told that normal for a boxer 4 engine and my cel came on which always flashes and comes on when im going about 82 miles an hour but goes off the next day which always tells me its 4 cyl misfire but i dont feel any misfire so im pretty sure your right it justs needs a reflash... i hope but anyways thanks alot man.

p.s. im scared but curious but what would physical 4 cyl misfire feel like at 82mph lol?

will you keep us posted as to what the outcome is for your car after reflash

yeah definatly just still going thru my options on this pay $135 have the dealer do it i know itll get done right but id have to deal with snobby dealer d!icks or buy a tactrix cable for like $180 and have some fun with tuning but id probally spend like 12 hours tuning my car lol but im definatly doing something this week

Registered User Thecabindweller's Avatar
    my 03 has been doing this for a year...had a dyno, change sparks did everything you've done and finally called a dealership and have been avoiding going to it for the past 6 months...i just dont want to fork over the 130 bucks for a problem that they should fix for free, its not our fault the cars are acting up.

u know in my searches on this topic ive seen quite a few that discribe other problems with the subaru ecus especally outside of the us and ppl talking about lawsuits and etc you would think they would get wind of all this and just reflash the ecus for free especally with multiple ppl complaning in the us and abrod i still love my car and all thats why i wanna get a tactrix cable and do it my self but i think i might try another suby dealer maybir i might get some sympathy insted of getting dogged by the servace cu&ts because i drive a wrx and not a forrester lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast