Which synthetic motor oil is better? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Which synthetic motor oil is better? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I used 10w-30 Mobil for a while and noticed that my engine was noisy then I switched to Castrol 5w-30 ...

I used 10w-30 Mobil for a while and noticed that my engine was noisy then I switched to Castrol 5w-30 and I think its the best dam oil on the planet. My friend even found a german formula of the same oil and he swears by it, he goes to this store in NJ since its the only store that he found that sells is and is close to his work, he buys 2 or 3 cases at a time.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This brings me to my next question, How often do you guys change your synthetic oil? The sticker they give me says to change it every 3k miles, but i have heard from people that you can go up to 6k miles for synthetic oil. What is correct?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    What is correct?
    Exactly what Subaru stated in their oil TSB (there is a thread on this forum with links) is correct. Follow that recommendation to the letter. Inside you will find oil types and drain intervals that apply to your particular vehicle.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    A poll would not answer the question. It would only show what oils are popular.
    It would be a good indication of what people think is best however, I've never used a product because it's second best, or the worst etc...
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    It would be a good indication of what people think is best however, I've never used a product because it's second best, or the worst etc...
    What people think isn't relevant to how effective an oil or any other product might be, though. Data are relevant.

I don't chose oil based on what people think; I look at the requirements stated by the motor manufacturer, and look at data generated by various oils in the same motor. Since our cars are so popular and since there are plenty of data out there on a variety of oils, I don't see the relevance of opinions -- with two exceptions: use and/or consumption rates under various conditions (stop/go, autox, motorway commuting etc. at various ambient temps and with various modifications generating different outputs from the motor, and so on) and regional differences in cost (that is, where to buy for less that's more convenient, etc.).

If you feel opinions are relevant or find them more valuable than I do, or even find them interesting then by all means, have a look. There's a multi-page oil change thread floating around, plus several other very long threads on oil opinions and preferences.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I don't chose oil based on what people think
    Neither do I, simply pointing out a strong correlation. Amsoil Cult members have been telling me their oil will do everything short of washing and waxing my car; still don't use it.
    ...Rob.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    Neither do I, simply pointing out a strong correlation. Amsoil Cult members have been telling me their oil will do everything short of washing and waxing my car; still don't use it.
    That's funny that you said that. I've found Amsoil themselves to be helpful and honest; I do not use their products specifically because of the way those products are marketed. Nothing against the people that work for the maker, but I simply won't buy the stuff because of the way it's sold (besides, the oil I do use generates single-digit wear numbers, meaning changing oils would have no benefit whatsoever -- but even if their oils were better I'd still not buy, I'd find another option that equaled their performance).

That's one of the reasons I avoid them as well; pure hearsay on my part, but you'd think that they'd make a metric F ton more money with a more traditional approach. I also had a bad experience with one of their foam filters on my Tacoma, they ended up pulling it from the market.
    ...Rob.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12