just got an 02 wrx
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on just got an 02 wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought an 02 wrx. It has 101,000 miles on it. I was just wondering if I could get ...

just got an 02 wrx

I just bought an 02 wrx. It has 101,000 miles on it. I was just wondering if I could get some tips and pointers on how to maintain the car? This is my first turbo so I have no clue as to what Im doing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Go to a dealer, have them check your VIN and tell you if all the recall and TSB work has been done.

Follow the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual to the letter, and use authentic Subaru parts as much as possible. Use the correct fluids as specified in the manual.

Maintenance is generally no different than any other gasoline-motored car. Just follow Subaru's routines in the manual. Dealer add-ons and "recommended" items are irrelevant; only what the manufacturer wrote or ammended matters.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

alright thanks. What might be causing shaking of the steering wheel going around corners?

I Support ClubWRX
    Loose lug nuts, steering component, or suspension; you'd have to look closely at the front end.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

so how long should I let the engine run for to let the turbo cool down because I live in the mountains and most of my driving is a little harder on the car? I have a lot of questions about the car

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyJKC10 View Post
    so how long should I let the engine run for to let the turbo cool down because I live in the mountains and most of my driving is a little harder on the car? I have a lot of questions about the car
    I'm betting most of them are answered in the manual. That one is, for example. You do not need to take special considerations for the turbo itself on shutdown; treat the motor as you would any other car. To you this probably means if you are used to letting other cars cool down under the same circumstances, do so with this one; otherwise just drive conservatively for a block or two before shutting down to let the car cool as you go. The manual does warn against driving hard when the car is cold, though.

alright thanks

just curious... what can i do to get better gas mileage? I dont accelerate very hard that often but i still only get around 18 mpg on the highway

I Support ClubWRX
    That's really quite low. I've managed 28 mpg and 24+ is routine on open roads. First, as above make sure the car is up to date on maintenance. Make sure you have correct pressures on each tire, and shift as early as possible without lugging the motor. If things do not improve dramatically it's either you or the car.

i have an automatic but i try to accelerate as easy as possible unless im merging and need to get over.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ah, I see; I have a 5spd. I don't know how the automatics behave so disregard my previous statements. Maybe an auto owner will post.

i just checked my coolant and its pretty low... im not quite sure if the place i bought it from filled it or not but if they did

what should i do if im seeing blue smoke coming out of the area to the left of the engine? and also i found a pool of gas ontop of the engine what could be causing these problems?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyJKC10 View Post
    what should i do if im seeing blue smoke coming out of the area to the left of the engine? and also i found a pool of gas ontop of the engine what could be causing these problems?
    If you actually found fuel on top of the motor, do not drive the car. Have it flatbedded, NEVER towed, ALWAYS flatbedded, to a mechanic for service. The smoke is likely oil burning off, suspect an oil leak either on the rocker cover onto hot exhaust or from either end of the oil feed line for the turbo. This leak is the least of your worries though. Fix the fuel problem.

I was planning on taking my car to the tech in my town on tuesday. What is the most likely cause for the fuel leak and how much will it cost to fix?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.