99 wrx
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 99 wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey All. I have a 99 wrx that has a 06 2.5 sti short block with almost all standard running ...

99 wrx

Hey All.
    I have a 99 wrx that has a 06 2.5 sti short block with almost all standard running gear. The prob I have is that when im driving at 100km hour or 60 mile an hour, the car looses power. It seems to either miss fire or has a fuel prob. Then when I downshift the prob continues. Ive also heard a spitting noise from the engine. If I pull over and stop, then get started again it seems to go away but only for a short wile. any help would be grateful.
    Ps. Im using more fuel

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It kind of sounds by the description that you have a misfire...Is the CEL on? How about if you nail it in like first or second gear? does the problem occur than? I am kind of thinking maybe something is happening when the engine is under load. Is the problem RPM related..Like will it happen at other speeds but at the same RPM?

What is the CEL? When I nail it, it will get to about 3500 rpm then die in power. Then when I upshift its the same. When im driving along normally the car seems to loose power at about 2500 rpm, then the jerking and missing starts even down through the gears its the same, and the car has a really hard time excelerating.

I thought I was going crazy!!

So there's people out there with the same prob. Iv done many things to pin-point IT but no luck!! It's like it need more fuel or slugish and takes for ever to get up to speed. If some one nails it please post it. I'm gonna try putting cusco motor mounts to see it that helps a bit. But I tried every thing!! Tune up ,fuel pump, vacuum lines , I even changed to stock bov. I had the gfb recirculated. No luck!! I'm frustrated. This happened after I took it to the mountains. I took it to my tuner and he said it was fine. So I'm gonna try motor mounts to see IF that helps a bit. Please help us. Oh I got no cel!! I have a 05 sti...
    Last edited by konejjo; 08-30-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Forgot info

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Walters View Post
    What is the CEL? When I nail it, it will get to about 3500 rpm then die in power. Then when I upshift its the same. When im driving along normally the car seems to loose power at about 2500 rpm, then the jerking and missing starts even down through the gears its the same, and the car has a really hard time excelerating.
    So you have the 99 WRX heads on an 06 2.5 STI block? The CEL is Check Engine Light? Is it illuminated?

Any suggestion guys!! Need to pin point it!! I know I don't have a fuel filter right??? So im stuck!! Help!!!

Could it be the clutch starting to go bad??? Could that make it jerk?? I have the stock one from 05...dunno :-(

The clutch usually begins to slip when its ending its useful life..Obviously if your tach is shooting up when you try to accelerate, that would indicate a clutch slipping. Is the Check Engine Light on?

Yeah that's what I thought. If I launch the car it is fast and torquey but when I'm just crusing and hit that2500 rpm on second-6th I can feel it jerk sometimes almost sounding to bogg out!! I don't like to launch my car but I tried it to see if it would jerk and it doesn't. I'm gonna uninstall my Cobb and change to my stock bcs to see if it still jerks. If that doesn't work I'll take off my kn typhoon to stock. I'll go to almost stock to see what happens. What do think about the motor mount you think that could make it jerk!!?? Oh no check engine light that's why I'm so lost!!
    Last edited by konejjo; 08-31-2009 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Forgot info

Busted motor motor mounts are easy to spot...just start the car and rev it up while your buddy watches the motor..usually the motor will move noticeably more than it should. That shouldn't really cause the car to bog down though...:/ How about out of gear if you throw it in neutral when your cruising around 60 mph and give it a shot of the gas will the engine operate properly than? Are you hitting your target boost level?

Ok I'll try in neutral. That's a good idea!! The boost I'm back to stock uninstalled the Cobb so don't remember the stock boost. But I was suppose to be hitting 21 with the tune didn't check though. I'm gonna take the car for a spin to see how it acts stock now then I'll post back. I'll also do what you told me about putting it on neutral. Hopefully it acts normal in stock mode and then I'll know the tune did go bad!!:-)

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by konejjo View Post
    Yeah that's what I thought. If I launch the car it is fast and torquey but when I'm just crusing and hit that2500 rpm on second-6th I can feel it jerk sometimes almost sounding to bogg out!! I don't like to launch my car but I tried it to see if it would jerk and it doesn't. I'm gonna uninstall my Cobb and change to my stock bcs to see if it still jerks. If that doesn't work I'll take off my kn typhoon to stock. I'll go to almost stock to see what happens. What do think about the motor mount you think that could make it jerk!!?? Oh no check engine light that's why I'm so lost!!
    Konejjo,

I really don't think your issue is the same and you are hijacking this thread pretty badly and confusing everyone. Please start your own.

If you are running a non-stock BCS with a custom tune don't do that. Pretty much the same for the intake. Don't use the stock ones without a retune.
    Last edited by mycologist; 08-31-2009 at 08:12 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Konejjo,

I really don't think your issue is the same and you are hijacking this thread pretty badly and confusing everyone. Please start your own.

If you are running a non-stock BCS with a custom tune don't do that. Pretty much the same for the intake. Don't use the stock ones without a retune.
    What do you mean BCS? And thanks.

Hey Adam , like the forum police dude said my prob might be different. It's almost the same but with my prob I think The tune went bad. Cuz I switch everything back to stock and no more jerks. The bcs is a boost control solenoid. When you get a custom tune. You can get a prodrive with 3 nipples it enables you to get a lil more boost. So I had to change mine to revert to stock!! That's why the forum cop got all mad and said I hijacked your thread. I'm sorry don't throw me to jail!!!lol. Mine didn't jerk when down shifting just when crusing then I gave it some gas around 2500 rpm it would jerk then it got up and went. What cel are you getting Adam ?? Cuz I didn't even get one!!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by konejjo View Post
    Hey Adam , like the forum police dude said my prob might be different. It's almost the same but with my prob I think The tune went bad. Cuz I switch everything back to stock and no more jerks. The bcs is a boost control solenoid. When you get a custom tune. You can get a prodrive with 3 nipples it enables you to get a lil more boost. So I had to change mine to revert to stock!! That's why the forum cop got all mad and said I hijacked your thread. I'm sorry don't throw me to jail!!!lol. Mine didn't jerk when down shifting just when crusing then I gave it some gas around 2500 rpm it would jerk then it got up and went. What cel are you getting Adam ?? Cuz I didn't even get one!!
    Hey buddy,

If you make it here for long you will find that we Mods are pretty reasonable. If you want me to take some punitive action against you keep trying to stick it to the man, mmmkk??
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast