Brand New Sti Extended Crank Issue

This is a discussion on Brand New Sti Extended Crank Issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello Everyone, Ok I recently purchased a 09 Sti and since then have put 800 miles on it. Since Ive ...

Brand New Sti Extended Crank Issue

Hello Everyone,

Ok I recently purchased a 09 Sti and since then have put 800 miles on it. Since Ive had the car I encountered this everyday.

On intial startup. Starts regularly

Drive the vehicle. Park it. Wait like 5 minutes then I get an extended crank.

Now its got me thinking? Is it using the starter to prime the turbo? for oil pressure or do I have a bad crank sensor going out? If I did ? wouldnt I get a CEL?
    2009 Sti Bone Stock
    Waiting on Magna-Flow CBE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The starter is only used to turn the motor. If the car is not starting correctly when warm, take it to the dealer and complain. IMO it is unlikely you have a bad crank sensor and again IMO yes, you'd get a CEL if that were the case. Don't be surprised if the dealer says "normal." I don't know whether you should be dismayed in that case or not, but I've not heard of anyone with the same complaint. When you say it takes long to start, how many cranks are we talking about before the motor catches? 3 seconds? More?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

about 4-5 seconds of cranking
    2009 Sti Bone Stock

I Support ClubWRX
    That does sound long. I'd take it in or at least add it to the list the next time the car is due for dealer service.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

My '05 wrx had this issue. Abnormally long crank when the car was already warm. It only had the problem in the first 5000 miles or so, it eventually went away.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    nah i dont have a problem with spelling, i just play a lot of world of warcraft and thats how people type in that game.

it just sucks to be driving a new car and you sit there like a jackass cranking for so long, especially with a new lady in the passenger seat, Hey cmon lets go for a ride in my new car by the way we have to flintstone it to make it work !
    2009 Sti Bone Stock

Update

Took car to dealer last Thursday, they re-flashed the ECU technician then started the car several times without a problem. Soon as I got the car back in the lot started it up same problem existed. I went back in to talk to the service manager, Randy. Told him same problem still exist after the reflash. He had then said they had found a total of 5 codes that were pending. (SCREAMING LEMON IN THE BACK OF MY HEAD). So they then said they wanted to keep the car overnight and give me a loaner. After waiting 4 hours in the dealership I received a loaner Subaru Legacy ( No offense to legacy owners but that car is terribly made ) Patience is starting to wear thin. So Saturday rolls around and they have no clue what is the problem. He said they had checked fuel pressure, fuel trim, crank/cam sensor all are within spec. They told me to pick up the car since they couldnt find what was causing this extended crank. ( That is not a joke either ) 20 minutes later I received a call saying they found the culprit. They had to taken another Sti off the lot and watched them side by side, and watch the specs. ( I wish at my job I had access to something like that hehe) Apparently the fuel pressure isnt correct and fuel pressure regulator is out of spec. So tomorrow 9.8.09 they are replacing both. ( crosses fingers ).

Does this sound like throwing parts at a car to fix it?
    2009 Sti Bone Stock