Keepin' the varmints out...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Keepin' the varmints out... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So the rex is with me this semester. Found a garage that was very inexpensive and only a few blocks ...

Keepin' the varmints out...

So the rex is with me this semester. Found a garage that was very inexpensive and only a few blocks away from my place. Only problem is it's a decently old structure, so it obviously isn't going to be varmint tight. So I'm looking for some tips or tips on keeping them out.

Right now the only things I'm planning on doing are:

- Relocate the lock on the door so it at least closes all the way.
    - Put some adhesive foam or something the seal up the bottom of the door.
    - Get a decent car cover for dust protection.
    - Seal up exhaust and intake.
    - Moth ball and desiccant pack in the interior.

Any other ideas? Any recommendations on a car cover?
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Peachypumpkincheeks

Wow seems like some extreme measures! How often are you going to be driving the car vs. letting it sit in said garage? What kind of vermin are we worried about--rats and/or bugs? Is this place known to have infestations of the sort?

Perhaps some mesh in the hoodscoop?

Maybe some roach/rat traps in front of your spot?

Or maybe carry around little snacks (i.e. cheese cubes) and put them under the cars farthest from yours?
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

I just finished getting my car in storage last week and I don't have a major vermin issue there but I just plugged up the airbox and exhaust to keep anything big out. I'd be worried about sealing up the doors too much as I imagine that would cause some moisture issues but maybe I'm wrong. I don't think anything major could get in as is. I used two of those baking soda fridge packs to absorb moisture and odors, I put one up front and one in the back area, of course maybe on a wrx you'd want one up from one in the back seat and one in the trunk.

I read in an issue of sports and exotic once that its a good idea to put a sheet of paper towel in the trunk and interior because mice will rip that apart first instead of the interior and you'll know something has been in there. Didn't do this personally but just a thought.

The other option is to get one of those car bubbles that uses a fan to keep it full of filtered air and keep contaminants and vermin out but it's expensive.

I bought a covercraft formfit cover. It was no cheap by any means but I didn't want to cheap out and end up with scratches and they are popular on the Ferrari forum so I figure if its good enough for that its good enough for my Z.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 08-24-2009 at 11:33 AM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

To start, the car will probably be sitting from Labor Day to the Thanksgiving Holiday. So it will have some time just sitting. I'm worried about small animals more then anything. The owner didn't mention any kind of infestation problems, it just looked to me like there would be potential for small animals taking shelter in there during the cold winter months (I'm in State College, PA). I'd rather do a little more work and keep any critters out.

It's a single car garage, so I'm not feeding the enemy. But I will probably pick up some insect traps to put around. And thank you for the tip on baking soda, that will be a much cheaper solution.

As far as a cover goes, I was looking at a little below $200 for a Block-It or WeatherShield brand cover. Not sure how the quality is, as I haven't found any reviews yet. Anyone familiar/own either?
    ~Stan

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

Quote Originally Posted by Hold_Fast View Post
    As far as a cover goes, I was looking at a little below $200 for a Block-It or WeatherShield brand cover. Not sure how the quality is, as I haven't found any reviews yet. Anyone familiar/own either?

If your storing it in doors it's best not to get a waterproof or anti weather cover as it allows it to breath better. The main thing you want is just something for dust protection. This will make it cheaper too.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    If your storing it in doors it's best not to get a waterproof or anti weather cover as it allows it to breath better. The main thing you want is just something for dust protection. This will make it cheaper too.
    Yeah, I was planning on something that works well with dust protection. I'll have to see what I can find...
    Last edited by Hold_Fast; 08-27-2009 at 09:28 AM.
    ~Stan

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.