front suspension noise
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on front suspension noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, Ive owned my 02 wrx for a few years now and have had numerous knocking and noise problems ...

front suspension noise

Hey guys, Ive owned my 02 wrx for a few years now and have had numerous knocking and noise problems in the front suspension. But they were always somewhat easily diagnosed and repaired. But this noise has been the most stuborn problem ive had. It sounds like a loose heat shroud hitting metal, and it only happens when on rough road or going over small to medium bumps. Its most noticable at low speeds but that just because im going slow enough to hear it, i do hear it when going over large bumps at high speed as well but not as often. from past exerience i know its not the wheel bearings (had that problem and fixed it.) Its not the struts, because they are new and the noise was there before replacement. Its not the sway bar endlinks beacause i unbolted them and drove it around the block and it still made the noise. Its not the heat shroud since ive checked as much of it as i could see from under the car and it all seems tight. Ive been under the car three times now and searched just about every thread in this sight on front susension noise. Hopefully someone else could give me a few new ideas on what to check, cause im running out of them. Any info is greatly appreciated, and much needed. Thanks in advance...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles are on the car? You mentioned its best described as a knocking sound? Have you checked the ball joints? motor/trans mount (s)? Do you have any other symptoms such as vibrations at high speeds just when cruising or anything? Are you 100% sure its not a loose heat shield?

there is about 110 k miles on it, and no there is no vibration that ive noticed. My steering does seem to be a little loose at high speed, meaning that i have to make minor adjustments here and there to keep the car straight on freeway. And i just replaced my steering rack bushings and had it alligned, hoping it was part of the problem but the noise is still there. It would be nice if my steering problem and the noise would be linked but its not appearing that way, since there is no noise from turning at any speed, just going over bumps and rough road. It could be the ball joints, that was going to be the next thing i looked at. And no im not positive its not a loose heat shroud but ive checked all the ones i could see around the front suspension were the noise is coming from and they seemed good, but i could have over looked something.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyd View Post
    there is about 110 k miles on it, and no there is no vibration that ive noticed. My steering does seem to be a little loose at high speed, meaning that i have to make minor adjustments here and there to keep the car straight on freeway. And i just replaced my steering rack bushings and had it alligned, hoping it was part of the problem but the noise is still there. It would be nice if my steering problem and the noise would be linked but its not appearing that way, since there is no noise from turning at any speed, just going over bumps and rough road. It could be the ball joints, that was going to be the next thing i looked at. And no im not positive its not a loose heat shroud but ive checked all the ones i could see around the front suspension were the noise is coming from and they seemed good, but i could have over looked something.

I was also thinking maybe a strut or upper strut mount..there known for these kinds of noises..Also check your tie rods along with the ball joints....I would be doing a general check over of the entire front end..lol..are there any mods on the car? like aftermarket springs or anything?

yeah ive been printing out pages from my repair manual in preperation for going over everything with a fine tooth comb. And yeah ive got tein s tech springs and kyb gr-2 struts but thats it.
    i dont think its the strut mounts because i had one replaced when i did the struts and it was making it before the swap and then still after.

I will say this about aftermarket springs, obviously most of them are lowering springs so therefore there isnt alot of tension on them when installed on the strut, actually with some you dont even need a spring compressor..anyways I'm just realizing this with my Legacy fore its lowered, I have an odd noise going over bumps and such everythings been checked out blah blah blah..Ive come to realize that its the spring because there isnt enough tension and when you hit a bump the spring might be so loose it comes of the spring seat a tad because the strut extends....just something to think about...

yeah that is true, and if it only happened when going over big bumps then i would probly chalk it up to something like that. But it happens even when going over very small bumps and cracks in the road and such, nothing that would cause the spring to leave its seat. Im going to check the ball joints and see if i can find anything loose, or visibly damaged. and if not i guess ill have to hand it over to the stealership and see what they say.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.