White Smoke!!! Need Help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on White Smoke!!! Need Help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so when i take my car out for a drive and then come back and let it idle for ...

White Smoke!!! Need Help!

Ok so when i take my car out for a drive and then come back and let it idle for a couple minutes i get white smoke coming out my exhaust. I checked all my fluids and everything seems ok. Oil on the dipstick seems the normal color, havent lost any coolant and no loss in power. Also when i plug in my AP i get a couple codes about the O2 sensor1 bank 1 and O2 sensor 1 bank 2 or something along those lines.

My mods are TBE all catless, Upipe, Tuned to Stage 2 with Cobb AP.

This just started happening after i tuned it to stage 2.

any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

PS. i have searched and read for hours on this topic but none seemed to have the same problem.

Thanks
    Blobeye Syndicate #43

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So its coming out of your exhaust? Is it a sweet smell? Are you sure its white and doesnt have a hint of blue to it? It sounds to me like your prob burning oil or coolant..It is extremely rare for a Subaru HG to blow internally let alone on a turbo Subaru..From the information you've provided my bet is you've either got a turbo problem or internal engine problem...Maybe whatever your burning is throwing off the o2 sensors...How many miles are on the car? How heavy is this smoke? Like thick clouds of it? If you can I would try and narrow it down to either coolant or oil it will make diag much easier...

Yes its comin gout my exhaust but i only notice it when i'm at idle. If i step on the gas when idling you can see the smoke coming out the exhaust. Sometimes its thick clouds and sometimes its not. It does maybe have a bluish tint to it. And the car has 98,000 miles on it.

Im gonna try to make it to the Subie dealer close by and get a compression test done and see what they say about it.
    Blobeye Syndicate #43

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo47193 View Post
    Yes its comin gout my exhaust but i only notice it when i'm at idle. If i step on the gas when idling you can see the smoke coming out the exhaust. Sometimes its thick clouds and sometimes its not. It does maybe have a bluish tint to it. And the car has 98,000 miles on it.

Im gonna try to make it to the Subie dealer close by and get a compression test done and see what they say about it.
    uh oh

sounds like either:

1) your turbo seals are done
    2) your piston rings are done
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by wrx0131 View Post
    uh oh

sounds like either:

1) your turbo seals are done
    2) your piston rings are done
    +1^

I just went stage 2 yesterday on my 04 wrx and I'm getting the same white cloud of smoke at idle. Other than that my car sounds fine. I'll let you know what I find out. Lookin forward to hear what you find as well

hmm thats weird. Did u go with Accessport for your stage 2? I just took it to the subie dealership yesterday and they did a pressure test on the coolant system and said it was fine except for a slight leak at the water pump.
    Blobeye Syndicate #43

I actually used a tactrix cable and did a stage 2 flash. Im hoping to do some logging with Romraider tonight and see if theres anything way outta wack with my tune. I'm new to logging so we'll see. I was really just hoping my car was way to lean. I'll keep ya posted

Yea and actually the smoke doesnt smell sweet at all like it would if it was coolant i just smells like its running to rich. And all my fluids seem to be fine.
    Blobeye Syndicate #43

Quote Originally Posted by subi it View Post
    I actually used a tactrix cable and did a stage 2 flash. Im hoping to do some logging with Romraider tonight and see if theres anything way outta wack with my tune. I'm new to logging so we'll see. I was really just hoping my car was way to lean. I'll keep ya posted
    trust me, you dont want to hope that.

Run lean for too long and you can kiss your piston(s) goodbye
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

Hey just an update subi it. I found out that my car is burning oil now and thats what i think the smoke is from. Drove 40 miles to work and back 2 days in a row and prolly burnt about 2 quarts of oil. So thats not good news on my part. Think it might have somethin to do with the turbo

Cars goin to the dealership tuesday to get it checked out. I'll let you know then what the outcome is.
    Blobeye Syndicate #43

I Support ClubWRX
    hope for a blown turbo....its cheaper
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Yep thats what it was blown turbo. I got a price quote from the dealership for 500 bucks for a used turbo all new gaskets and everything included in that price. So whoever has the same problem on this thread i would send it to somewhere to get your turbo checked out.
    Blobeye Syndicate #43

I'm glad you got a good deal on the used turbo. Mine hasnt acted up again since that night. I'll double check the oil level tomorrow. I think what happened to mine was my brother really beat on my car and then shut it off right away without letting it idle. From what I've been told..shutting it off and not letting it idle doesnt allow for the oil to to cool and move out of the turbo. So its possible it just got baked in the turbo while it was sitting their. One thing I have noticed though..In third gear it's like i hit a wall at 4k and dont get any boost...then all of a sudden bam it hits at like 5k. It has done this twice now. Please turbo be okay...

yea i would still get it checked out tho. Mine was doing about the same thing and then all of a sudden i wasnt getting any boost at all in any gear. Some days i would get what i should and some days it would only be around 5 psi
    Blobeye Syndicate #43

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast