Tensioner Problem After My Build..

This is a discussion on Tensioner Problem After My Build.. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my car runs great...but I ran into a little issue today. Picked up the kids from my wife in ...

I Support ClubWRX

Tensioner Problem After My Build..

So my car runs great...but I ran into a little issue today. Picked up the kids from my wife in my WRX, and started for home, when suddenly a very loud screeching sound started coming from the engine bay. It seemed to be tied to steering action, so my first thought was either the belt or my power steering pump. I got it home (with it screaming intermittently), removed the pulley cover, and saw that my V-belt for my PS unit and alternator was VERY loose. Upon closer inspection, the lock bolt was completely loose.

At first, I was happy about it; simple fix, adjust tension and tighten lock bolt, done...but unfortunately it appears that the lock bolt has been badly cross-threaded at some point during my engine's re-assembly. The threads in the alternator seem to be pretty much gone.

I've rigged it for the time being with a piece of hardware I had around the house. Basically it's a slightly smaller bolt with a nut behind the alternator that's holding the lock in place so I can tension the belt...but it needs a proper fix. What's my best option to do this? Remove the alternator and have it tapped for a larger size? Or is there another accepted way to fix this? Obviously I'd rather not spring for a new alternator if I can get away with it. My build has pretty much broken my car budget for a while.

Thanks for any input!

edit: I do realize that I need to bring this up with the shop that did my work. I will do so on Monday, and perhaps they can help me out as well.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have done both solutions on different cars -- I've used a longer, thinner bolt with a nut holding it where it "exits" the alternator, and I've re-tapped and re-threaded the alternator itself. The latter seems the more elegant solution but I suppose either will work. I'd feel better if the nut holding the bolt is unable to back out physically, so that means either a wire to hold it, a double nut, or a "locking" type (nylon ringed) nut.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    A locknut did cross my mind..I can keep a few around for future tensioning adjustments.
    I have access to a fair variety of hardware at the shop at my work. I'll take a look around on Monday and see if they have something I can use. Thanks, DanAlSpiro!
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    couple choices:
    new alternator
    helicoil
    long bolt nut through back
    drill and tap

I like heli coil or drill and tap
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Heli coil is an interesting option.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    If you don't have that size laying around though a coil set will cost more money than simply tapping, it's up to you. A coil is a more "attractive" option since theoretically that bolt will have the strongest threads in the entire engine (some expen$ive all-Al motors come with steel thread inserts for their bolts, ours do not
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.