A/C only cold on passenger side

This is a discussion on A/C only cold on passenger side within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, I've got an 09 WRX wagon, and as of this afternoon the air conditioning is only coming out ...

Red face A/C only cold on passenger side

Hey all, I've got an 09 WRX wagon, and as of this afternoon the air conditioning is only coming out cold on the passenger side. The volume of air flow is still normal on the drivers side, except it's barely cooler than the outside air (if at all).

From what I've read, it is possibly indicative of a leaking/low refrigerant.. however I didn't find enough information to settle on this diagnosis.

The service department at the dealer is closed at this hour, but I'll be calling first thing tomorrow. Just wanted to run this by you all and see if you can give me any pointers as to what to expect.

Thanks!
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    Just wanted to run this by you all and see if you can give me any pointers as to what to expect.
    expect your ac to be replaced under warranty by your subaru dealer

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    expect your ac to be replaced under warranty by your subaru dealer
    So it seems!

Let's see... A/C, long block, turbo, rear shocks... I've practically got a new car here lol
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Well, this wasn't part of the expectation!

They didn't have the problem diagnosed after having the car 8 hours today, and when I showed up at the dealership service desk, they told me:

"The Kenwood stereo wires that are in there could be interfering with the heater box, so it may or may not be covered under warranty"

On top of that the car was taken apart so I couldn't even take it home today. And since they "aren't sure" if it's covered, i have to pay for the rental car. Didn't have a choice, since I was basically stranded at the dealership at that point. It will be billed back to Subaru if it's determined to be a warranty coverage.

Funny, the stereo never caused ANY problems until they replaced the long block and turbo...

Can anyone please enlighten me as to how unplugging the stock stereo, and plugging in a Kenwood stereo will "interfere with the heater box" which results in cold air only coming out of the passenger side??

I haven't called SOA yet at this point, going to wait to see what the dealership says.
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Update, if anyone's interested..

I posted this also on NASIOC and one of the members there pointed me towards the Subaru TechTIPS newsletter which described this EXACT problem.

We have received calls with a Customer concern of cold air coming out of the passenger side vents as compared to the driver side temperature which is quite warm. Keep in mind that up to a 15 degree variance is considered normal. In some cases, the condition arises after cooling system servicing but it can also happen with the vehicleís original coolant. When draining and refilling the system, sediments become agitated and get re-circulated. Eventually, they collect in the heater core and restrict the coolant flow causing uneven temperatures across the core which result in inconsistent vent temperatures. Air pockets generated in the cooling system during the coolant replacement can create similar conditions. Vacuum-assisted cooling system re-filling tools, like the one pictured, are a handy tool to help eliminate air pockets and the problems they can cause.
    I called them yesterday, and he told me that the "extra wires from the stereo got caught in the small gears that control the heater box"

I told him I would like more information on the diagnosis like the temperatures they recorded from the passenger and driver's side A/C air, and the ambient temperature during the test. Then told him to check that TechTIPS newsletter and read to him exactly what it said, he put me on hold to talk to the service manager, got back on the phone 1 minute later, "everything will be taken care of under warranty. we'll call the car rental agency and get the charges reversed back to SOA".

So, awesome it's under warranty, then I asked him how "wires getting caught in the heater box gears" cause the A/C to blow hot on one side and cold on the other. He said they're still trying to diagnose it, but they stopped once they found the wires in the stereo. Then asked if it was the heater or A/C I was having problems with Communication, it's a wonderful thing.

So basically it's my understanding that I brought it in complaining of a problem with the HVAC system, and in the 2 full days that they had the car they went as far as taking the stereo out to look around just far enough to find something to blame it on without diagnosing the problem...

I'll let yall know what the actual problem is once I find out, since nobody at the service dept seems to know.
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120