A/C and overheating

This is a discussion on A/C and overheating within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys. Looking for advice. My A/C is going out again. Compressor kicks on but no cold air and at ...

A/C and overheating

Hey guys. Looking for advice. My A/C is going out again. Compressor kicks on but no cold air and at the same time this started the car tries to overheat when sitting still. What would you suggest? Doesn't seem to have an overheating issue when the A/C is turned off. What would you look for first? Any info would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles are on the vehicle? I will say this...if the car is overheating/overheated than the ECU will not allow the compressor to come on...If the car is only overheating while the AC IS on...than I would be looking into either a thermostat issue or a radiator issue....However before replacing anything...Make sure the radiator, surge tank, and over flow are full, Also inspect for coolant leaks..Have you done any cooling system work recently that would allow an air pocket to form? Also make sure the fans cycle and are blowing hot air when they do cycle...Just a side note...I would def go about repairing your overheating concern first fore as i mentioned the two could be related..

The car has 281,000 miles. The timing belt, thermo, water pump, etc. were changed at about 230,000 miles. The radiator was flushed at the same time. Doesn't appear to have a leak. I will inspect it closer and check the fans. The A/C will not blow cool air at all now. It only tried to overheat twice and that was after I sat at idle for a few minutes. If the radiator needs replacing, would that also solve the A/C problem? The compressor kicks on so it could possibly be the expansion valve. I have replaced it once about 2 yrs ago. Just wondering if the radiator would have that much impact on the A/C. Thanks for the advice.

its also making that SSHHHHH sound (like when you turn your A/C on) continuously.

Well maybe the problems aren't related than..the only reason I say tackle the overheating problem first is because It could be anything at that kind of mileage so there is a possibility it could get expensive..Why would you want to fix the AC and than the car overheats and its something really expensive just and ex..HG's?? The car only tries to overheat with the AC on correct? The car does not try to overheat with the AC off correct? So the AC doesn't work at all? how is the condition/tension of the drive belt.. feel the lines..does the low side get ice cold and the high side remain hot with the compressor on? I would throw a set of manifold gauges on there and see what you've got..if there's anything in the system you could try leak checking it with a leak seeker or if the leak isn't apparent and there's nothing in the system you could try charging it up with some dye..than the leak should become apparent...I would hop under the car if you can and check for coolant leaks also..if you have the means do a cooling system pressure test..that would def. point out the leak if you have one ( when doing this make sure to pop your eyes into the overflow and hopefully you wont see any bubbles in there)... I just need to know if the car only tries to overheat with the AC on? OR does it try to overheat with the AC on or off? The answer to this question will most definitely help with further diag.

Driving the last week with the A/C off and no overheating at all. The A/C decided to stop working about 3 weeks ago. it would blow barely cool air...just enough to keep from having a heat stroke. The overheating only happened twice and it was with the A/C on and sitting still for about 3 or 4 minutes. While sitting still, i revved the engine and the temp tried to come down. The compressor still kicks on but no cold air. It did this before with a stuck expansion valve. i replaced it and everything was good. does this help you any? i appreciate the advice.
    Last edited by HRTATAK; 08-21-2009 at 05:01 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds like high pressure on the "high" side. I'd have someone stick a set of gauges on it and see what's going on.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yea I'm gonna get someone to stick some gauges on it but I was wondering (since both started about the same time) if the overheating and the A/C problems could be related.

Well my friends Toyota celica would start to overheat when he turned the A/C on, the A/C blew cold air once turned on, but his cooling fan was fried, and as soon as you turned the A/C on the car started to overheat, since it was a beater car he never fixed it but I'd look at your cooling fans and see that they turn on properly. The psssssshhhhh sounds like its low on refrigerant or that pressure valve, I know that with my car whenever it would make that sound, I had to add some because I had a slow leak in the system.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter