Overheating and my mechanic gave up on me - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Overheating and my mechanic gave up on me within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by WRXie Not all but most. I just got her back today after changing the radiator and almost ...

Quote Originally Posted by WRXie View Post
    Not all but most. I just got her back today after changing the radiator and almost a 100 miles later, she still hasn't overheated.
    I'm glad shes all fixed up! Did your coolant reservoir overflow like mine does? that's the one eating at me the most...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Personally I think you need to find a new mechanic. There are some very easy ways to find out if you have a head gasket problem.
    1) Coolant in oil. Makes the oil turn a tan color.
    2) Sweet smell in exhaust/white smoke from exhaust
    3)Leak test Head Gasket or Combustion Leak Test Procedure (Gasoline Engines Only)

Also you might just have an air bubble in the system. Try burping the system. Maybe your water pump is taking a crap. Most water pumps have a "weep hole". Jack up the car and see if you got coolant coming out down by the lower radiator hose.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Flirty User That's Younger Than the Chunks of Corn in Brian's Crap

Quote Originally Posted by khawajakustoms View Post
    I'm glad shes all fixed up! Did your coolant reservoir overflow like mine does? that's the one eating at me the most...
    Mine did overflow, which was my fault. When I checked it, I didn't notice the lines on the side that said where to fill to, so I over filled it and it was going all over. Once I fixed that, it hasn't been spraying coolant anywhere.
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

Try running your car in test mode to see if both fans cycle. That's where my overheating issue came form (drivers side rad fan came unplugged somehow)
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

Unhappy I am having same problem with overheating!

Hello,

Just bought 03 wrx wagon about 3 weeks ago and it is now in its third shop. The mechanic told me that if they can't get it to overheat they are making me pick it up.

I overheated in 4th gear on a bridge on xmas eve. pulled over and coolant poured out.

Put a bit in and let it cool, then drove to Pep Boys (they were the only place open within 20 miles on xmas eve eve.)

They said there must be a leak, and pressure tested it. Well, apparantly there is no leak. They said, "Good news" nothing is wrong with your car.

@#$*

As I drove home from Pep boys my gauge went almost all the way to H. When I pulled over, antifreeze was everywhere. Exploded from the reservoir.

So, then it was to another mechanic who after not looking at it for 4 days i gave up on.

It's been at third place for a week. One mechanic got it to overheat on the highway but didnt find that problem. The spent all day driving it yesterday and cannot get it to overheat. They are giving it one more day and then handing me back my car. I am perplexed!

I know there is something wrong with it. I heard everything from head gasket, to water pump, to radiator, to thermostat, but all of these things have been checked out. Help! Please?

I Support ClubWRX
    Burp the system and see if that improves anything. My guess is the seller replaced the coolant and did not burp the system properly.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Make sure the top and bottom hoses feel about the same temp. A better way I've used is one of the laser point thermomters to check that the temp across the radiator is even, and that the upper and lower hose are at the same temp. If not you have a flow restriction.

Unhappy I am having same problem with overheating!

Hello,

Just bought 03 wrx wagon about 3 weeks ago and it is now in its third shop. The mechanic told me that if they can't get it to overheat they are making me pick it up.

I overheated in 4th gear on a bridge on xmas eve. pulled over and coolant poured out.

Put a bit in and let it cool, then drove to Pep Boys (they were the only place open within 20 miles on xmas eve eve.)

They said there must be a leak, and pressure tested it. Well, apparantly there is no leak. They said, "Good news" nothing is wrong with your car.

@#$*

As I drove home from Pep boys my gauge went almost all the way to H. When I pulled over, antifreeze was everywhere. Exploded from the reservoir.

So, then it was to another mechanic who after not looking at it for 4 days i gave up on.

It's been at third place for a week. One mechanic got it to overheat on the highway but didnt find that problem. The spent all day driving it yesterday and cannot get it to overheat. They are giving it one more day and then handing me back my car. I am perplexed!

I know there is something wrong with it. I heard everything from head gasket, to water pump, to radiator, to thermostat, but all of these things have been checked out. Help! Please?

Do the fans turn on? My last two Hondas....I had to replace the temperature switch.

Yes, the fans turn on. The system was burped. Everything seems to be in working order and it only overheats sometimes. I seem to think it is radiator related, but the mechanic doesn't. It just passed PA inspection. We are picking her up today. So, we'll see. I have a hunch it will overheat on me again.

The mechanic said it could have been a clog that was broken loose. They ran it 2 days in a row. On the highway and in the city and the gauge stays centered. It is a mystery. One I wish was solved soon.

Unhappy

Last time I seen a car do this it was the head gasket. Ive also noticed that the wagons tend to do it more.
    '03 WRX (Blue) COBB AP Stage 2 SPT Intake TBE
    Blitz BOV / 17" Enkie RSV's (Gold)
    ProDrive Coilovers and much more to come...

Indeed. Head Gasket.

So, my car is at a Subaru dealer/service station. The head gasket is leaking coolant internally. AWESOME!!! That is sarcasm, of course. I have an extended warranty that better pay for it as I just bought the car a month ago and it has been to 4 mechanics. I have had the car to myself a little under 2 weeks. They quoted somewhere between 3800-4300 dollars. Holy ****! Any suggestions, opinions?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Subiedubie17 View Post
    So, my car is at a Subaru dealer/service station. The head gasket is leaking coolant internally. AWESOME!!! That is sarcasm, of course. I have an extended warranty that better pay for it as I just bought the car a month ago and it has been to 4 mechanics. I have had the car to myself a little under 2 weeks. They quoted somewhere between 3800-4300 dollars. Holy ****! Any suggestions, opinions?
    Yes - get it covered under warranty and get it replaced. There is no easy out for a head gasket (the motor is coming out etc.).
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12