boost acting wack
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on boost acting wack within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; the other day i was driving and my car was pushing about 14.5 er 15 psi at full bost. then ...

boost acting wack

the other day i was driving and my car was pushing about 14.5 er 15 psi at full bost. then yesterday it was only pushing like 12 er 11 wats up with that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 02 wrx View Post
    the other day i was driving and my car was pushing about 14.5 er 15 psi at full bost. then yesterday it was only pushing like 12 er 11 wats up with that?
    I'm going to move this to troubleshooting so you can get more help.

Is it hot as **** there?

Is your gauge accurate, and are you measuring boost in the same gear (3rd or higher)?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

it was in gears 1 through 5 and it was acting a little wierd on the guage it kinda looked like the needle was fluttering a little bit. and ya im pretty sure my guage is accurate i mean i just bought the car used like a month now

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh wait, your the cel after oil change guy?

Suspect highly now your uppipe cat is loose and getting ready to cause serious damage. Uppipe blockage is probably causing the low boost.

I Support ClubWRX
    It can't be in gears 1-5. Pick a high gear and stick with it for comparisons. Also note the ambient temperature and stick with that too. Ideally look for the same stretch of road in the same gear with the same weight in the car at the same ambient temperature.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

hha ya its me haha
    really? crap the guy who had it before me musta beat the crap outa it! so the i basically need to replace the uppipe asap before it gets sucked into my turbo?

I Support ClubWRX
    Two questions:

1. Is the EGT sensor clip connected securely?

2. Is the EGT sensor clip connected securely?
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Two questions:

1. Is the EGT sensor clip connected securely?

2. Is the EGT sensor clip connected securely?
    Yeah, both good questions too.

i dunno haha i dont even know how to get to it. lol
    how can i check?

I Support ClubWRX
    Follow the links. They will tell you how to follow the lead from the EGT probe on the up pipe. Check that wiring in its entirety and check the connector depicted. Your car will not have the resistor, nor should you need it. You are looking for an electrical fault.

2.2K Ohm Resistor Mod
    egt sensor location

but see i dont even know where the probe itself is haha is it in the actual upipe?

I Support ClubWRX
    hha ya its me haha
    really? crap the guy who had it before me musta beat the crap outa it! so the i basically need to replace the uppipe asap before it gets sucked into my turbo?
    I could be wrong, but it is good preventative maintenance and has a solid performance aspect as well. Yes, it is likely to take out the turbo if it is bad.

I Support ClubWRX
    but see i dont even know where the probe itself is haha is it in the actual upipe?
    Yes. Not the one in the manifold, that is A/F

I Support ClubWRX
    OK so we know the ECU has identified an EGT fault. We don't know whether the EGT probe itself has failed though. I'd be interested in seeing whether the resistance across the terminals on that clip is less than 5 Ω.

If it is less than that, and the EGT probe itself has failed, I also don't know if that is a cause or an effect. IOW I don't know if the ECU will reduce output in response to an EGT circuit CEL, explaining what the OP is experiencing (unless the OP isn't; we don't know that either since boost was not measured with any consistency), or if output is reduced because the cat is fragmenting and took out the probe as a result. Someone like Donkey or Testes ought to know though. In any case, I'd still like to know the resistance generated by the EGT side of the circuit.

i just measured my boost i was reading 14.5 in 3rd 4th gears

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast