Overheating while moving only VERY strange

This is a discussion on Overheating while moving only VERY strange within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Recently I had to clean up an oil leak on my Hybrid EJ22T/2.0 Dohc Motor. Everything went very smoothly and ...

Overheating while moving only VERY strange

Recently I had to clean up an oil leak on my Hybrid EJ22T/2.0 Dohc Motor. Everything went very smoothly and the car pulls harder than ever and runs great, EXCEPT its now over heating. Here's the symptoms

Water pump/Thermostat/Radiator Cap = 13k Miles on them
    DOES NOT over heat when sitting still
    DOES NOT have any problems cooling down once I stop
    DOES NOT have a fan/relay problem they turn on right at 204
    DOES NOT have a history of running hot (Ej22) in Vegas weather
    DOES NOT have a leaking/weaping water pump

When I reinstalled the Thermostat from the Oil pump leak fix, I did not position the weep hole, or position it as I've seen a few threads. Could this cause my creep overheating problem?

The upper hose is very hot/firm to the touch when the car is running or off
    The lower hose is only hot/firm to the touch when running, when off its cooler (Not cold, but cooler to the touch)

Temps Creep up from 195 to 220 and 240 with just normal driving and cruising around (In Vaccum). AFRs are lean at 16.5-18.0 when > 30% throttle. As soon as throttle is applied AFR's drop to 12.5-11.5 when the boost comes on. This has NO effect on my cooling, as the temps just creep up. Even when coasting down a long grade, out of gear, the car does not cool down, it heats up slowly.

I have tried to "Burp" the system many many times. I have been filling and messing with the cooling for 4 days now. Each time I think I've got it figured out, it still heats up. When burping some coolant over flows, some air comes out, but it never takes a substantial amount of coolant, maybe 1/2 a cup.

I am using a mix of Distiled water, Green coolant, and Water Wetter. Im running a PWR Alum Radiator, STI Radiator Cap, and Stock EJ22 Water Pump with Stock Thermostat. There is an STI coolant tank relocated with NO radiator cap on the radiator, and an overflow that is separate from the radiator, but is connected via the rubber hose that runs to the TOP Passenger side of the Radiator. There is also a Coolant line that runs to the turbo.

The temp gauge in the car sits in the middle of the 4 marks. On my PSI3 data sheet it shows the temps around 200, then they creep up to 210, then 220, and after that I shut it down and let it cool off.

Does this seem like a bad water pump? Im wondering about it, because ive had this issue before, on a few other types of motor's but this is the first subaru I've had problems with. The symptoms have me stumped.

:sadbanana:

MY questions;

Can installing the thermostat in the wrong clocking position cause this problem?

Can a water pump fail with out leaking/weeping ?

If I do have to do the water pump, is there any high flow EJ22 water pump/thermostat/radiator cap?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds like you are not getting circulation due to an obstruction.

Let the car cool down completely. Remove the radiator cap. Top off the car so the coolant level is correct. Turn the motor on and let it warm up, keeping an eye on the gauge in case it wants to overheat. Do you eventually see circulation (when the coolant temp comes up and the thermostat opens)?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It sounds like you are not getting circulation due to an obstruction.

Let the car cool down completely. Remove the radiator cap. Top off the car so the coolant level is correct. Turn the motor on and let it warm up, keeping an eye on the gauge in case it wants to overheat. Do you eventually see circulation (when the coolant temp comes up and the thermostat opens)?
    I feel this is the problem too, but what would be blocking/stopping is my problem? I do not think that it is the thermostat, as it starts to open at 174, and thats where the temp stay's for a few (3-4 minutes) then it begins to slow rise up to 210 where I shut it down.

I can hop in the car and mimick the same thing over and over and over. Im really thinking its a thermostat, or a stuck air pocket..

Have you blead the radiator when you filled it back up? If you havnt then there is possibly air trapped in the system.