Loud Thumping while turning sharp

This is a discussion on Loud Thumping while turning sharp within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Short story: Loud thumping noises from the front and rear tires ONLY when i turn sharp (IE. parking, 90 degree ...

Loud Thumping while turning sharp

Short story: Loud thumping noises from the front and rear tires ONLY when i turn sharp (IE. parking, 90 degree turns). any clues??

Long story: I just recently bought an 07 wrx and it felt fine as i drove it off the lot with a huge smile. took it for a drive and as i was parking it in the garage, i had to turn sharp to get it inside and heard a loud thump as the wheels turned and felt like the car was slowing down by itself. took it to the dealership and they test drove it and found another problem and fixed part of the transmission and returned it to me. but they didnt fix my sharp turning thumping, so i took it back, they felt the noise and thumping, they looked at the rear diff fluid and had shavings so they changed the rear differential and bearings, test drove it and was fine. I told them that i noticed that when the car is cold, it doesnt do the thumping so they drove it for 4 miles and no thumping. i drove it 10 miles and the thumping came back. im gonna take it back to them on monday, but does anyone have a clue at all or have any ideas? Im new to the website and new to subi's and so far havent had much luck. car hauls **** and its a blast to drive, but the thumping is horrible.
    Leo

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

loud thumping while turning sharp

MINE IS A 2002 WRX AND I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM .but just happens after driving it for some time , just when hot, i even changed my four tires for new tires, i also changed transmission and differential oil for sinthetic oil no difference, once the thumping begins the steering also becomes harder, like if the car wanTed to go strait instead of turning, i am really worried, i hope someone has the answer.
    I AM THINKING THAT MY REAR LSD DIFFERENTIAL COULD BE CAUSING THE PROBLEM.
    PAUL HURST
    AREQUIPA- PERU
    Last edited by PAUL HURST; 09-27-2009 at 07:08 AM.

I had the same problem on my 03. Changed the cv's as thats what that noise is generally from no dice. Changed fluids a couple times. Turned out to be the center diff or awd transfer case whichever you prefer to call it. $1200 at the local subby dealership.

took it to the dealership and they test drove it and found another problem and fixed part of the transmission and returned it to me. but they didnt fix my sharp turning thumping, so i took it back, they felt the noise and thumping, they looked at the rear diff fluid and had shavings so they changed the rear differential and bearings, test drove it and was fine.

so did the dealer ship look at the cv axels generally wen you get a thumping noise out of an awd car in slow turns or sharp turns the bearing in the outer part of the axel do not have any grease in between them take and turn your wheels sharp either direction and look at the axels and see if they look toren or rotting also look for excessive amount of grease around the wheels if none this is there and you still have the thumping noise have the dealer replace the axels on the front there is a possibly bad from the manufatcure