Overheating

This is a discussion on Overheating within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 02 WRX NB-R and it has started overheating. The gauge doesn't really go past half way but ...

Unhappy Overheating

I have an 02 WRX NB-R and it has started overheating. The gauge doesn't really go past half way but when I turn off the engine all hell breaks loose and all the coolant and water comes boiling out. I got the thermostat removed (it was stuck) but that didn't solve said problem. I was told that if it was a head gasket then there would be white smoke form the exhaust. Somebody? Anybody? Help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Flirty User That's Younger Than the Chunks of Corn in Brian's Crap

Mine was spewing coolant everywhere because I had a hole in my radiator and I had overfilled my coolant. Maybe something like that?
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

WRXie
    Was the coolant coming out of the hole in the radiator? Mine's coming out of the tank beside it (sorry dunno what exactly that tank is called)

Flirty User That's Younger Than the Chunks of Corn in Brian's Crap

Both. I had a leak in the top corner of the radiator by the coolant holder thing and I had overfilled on the coolant so it coming out of there as well.
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

I'll check for a leak in the radiator and I'll also check through the hoses to see if any of them are leaking.

Also burp the cooling system. If the coolant wasn't filled correctly you can get air pockets in the system. There's a pretty specific procedure for the turbo engines.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Batfink2002 View Post
    I have an 02 WRX NB-R and it has started overheating. The gauge doesn't really go past half way but when I turn off the engine all hell breaks loose and all the coolant and water comes boiling out. I got the thermostat removed (it was stuck) but that didn't solve said problem. I was told that if it was a head gasket then there would be white smoke form the exhaust. Somebody? Anybody? Help?
    Contrary to pretty much every other engine out there 90% of Subarus with blown HG's end up leaking externally both coolant and/or oil...Obviously if you have an external leak and not an internal one you wont be burning any coolant/oil...As mentioned try what others have suggested such as burping the system, inspecting things etc etc..because obviously worse comes to worse you'll need head gaskets ( which is a somewhat rare occurance on Turbo Subarus..I think Ive seen like 2 Turbo Subies with popped HG's compared to the hundreds of N/A subarus ive seen with HG problems)