if one coil goes, do I need to replace all 4?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on if one coil goes, do I need to replace all 4? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, so I am a new owner of a 2002 WRX and the check engine light has come on. According ...

Question if one coil goes, do I need to replace all 4?

Hi,
    so I am a new owner of a 2002 WRX and the check engine light has come on. According to my mechanic, this could be due to 60 different things. He says my car is misfiring and usually due to coils or spark plugs.
    He says the spark plugs are good and that he is checking the 3rd coil and that my car is running rough because of this.
    He recommends changing all 4 coils as they will continue to create the same misfire happen. Just trying to avoid the extra $140 x 3 plus labor that I have been quoted if not necessary...

any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

also is it best to change the rotors if you need to change the brake pads??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No you don't have to buy four new coil packs and the easy way to check is to swap the coil pack with another one from a different cylinder. Then reset the ECU and if the missfire code changes then its the coil pack. If not it could be an injector. Search "missfires" to find the complete probable prognosis list.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.