Timing belt change now see puffs of smoke every now and then.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Timing belt change now see puffs of smoke every now and then. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I did a belt change and it all seems fine, there are no strange noises or any engine codes and ...

Timing belt change now see puffs of smoke every now and then.

I did a belt change and it all seems fine, there are no strange noises or any engine codes and the car pulls fine. However now when the car is standing at idle for a while, when I give it gas there is a visible amount of bluish smoke which comes out of the exhaust. I haven't noticed any smoke like that before the belt change, so this has me worried. Is something wrong with the engine now? if say the valves were tweaked/bent would there be any other signs of trouble other then some smoke every now and then? Could it be that the turbo is starting to go? its got 100k on the odo
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If the valves were bent/tweaked either the car would run extremely horribly and/or you would most definitely have a CEL for cylinder misfire....Obviously as im sure you know bluish smoke is a sign of oil burning...Did you change anything else along with the timing belt? Personally I would suspect either the turbo seals or the maybe something internal (ring lands etc etc...)..If you feel like investigating I would pull the downpipe off and see if you notice any oil coming out of the turbo, than I would do a compression/wet compression test...depending the results of that I might do a leak down...

Yes, I changed the hydraulic tensioner and the water pump, but that is it, I don't see the water pump as the cause. I did more monitoring on it and it seems it only does it when its cold and you first step on the gas to get going, after that its clean. Its also clean until it idles for a couple of minutes and then step on the gas, when you first turn it on, nothing. It might have been doing that and I just never noticed it until now because of the timing belt change and me freaking out about everything since then . One thing I did do like a week prior is, wrap the turbo with some heat tape, to prevent some of the heat soaking, I thought that keeping the heat in the turbo was a good thing for better spool up, which does work because I noticed that it does get better spool up since I did it. However maybe its making the turbo heat up quicker when starting up and any residue oil burns up, and then the first time you step on it, it clears it out. I am leaning towards the turbo because the engine is fine, actually my wife says that its quiter and smoother since the timing belt change but you know how much I trust her opinion (uh huh honey that's right ). What I am going to do is to remove the tape and see if it still does it, because I don't have any trusted mechanics that I will let touch my car, the only guys I trust is PrecisionTuning but they are in New Jersey so when push comes to shove I will give them a call and have them look it over. Right now I am knocking on wood that everything will be fine. I am beating my self up that I didn't let them to the change but they are about 60 miles away from me and it isn't exactly convenient.

Kartboy short shifter

Quote Originally Posted by subaru_crazy View Post
    Yes, I changed the hydraulic tensioner and the water pump, but that is it, I don't see the water pump as the cause. I did more monitoring on it and it seems it only does it when its cold and you first step on the gas to get going, after that its clean. Its also clean until it idles for a couple of minutes and then step on the gas, when you first turn it on, nothing. It might have been doing that and I just never noticed it until now because of the timing belt change and me freaking out about everything since then . One thing I did do like a week prior is, wrap the turbo with some heat tape, to prevent some of the heat soaking, I thought that keeping the heat in the turbo was a good thing for better spool up, which does work because I noticed that it does get better spool up since I did it. However maybe its making the turbo heat up quicker when starting up and any residue oil burns up, and then the first time you step on it, it clears it out. I am leaning towards the turbo because the engine is fine, actually my wife says that its quiter and smoother since the timing belt change but you know how much I trust her opinion (uh huh honey that's right ). What I am going to do is to remove the tape and see if it still does it, because I don't have any trusted mechanics that I will let touch my car, the only guys I trust is PrecisionTuning but they are in New Jersey so when push comes to shove I will give them a call and have them look it over. Right now I am knocking on wood that everything will be fine. I am beating my self up that I didn't let them to the change but they are about 60 miles away from me and it isn't exactly convenient.

That sounds like a good idea..your on the right track...basics first... Pat yourself on the back though....You successfully completed a Subaru DOHC t-belt job...the SOHC can be done in an hour with little hasle but Ive seen techs before attempt DOHC Subie belt jobs only to start the car and immediately bend valves....We charge around $500 I believe to chanage the T-belt so you at least saved yourself that much...Did you go off of any tutorial or anything? Ive done many many Subie t-belts however the first time I did a DOHC I went off of this article....although most of it was self explainitory..lol.. http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/2.5Timing.pdf

Mine does the same thing, but i've only noticed it once, and it has another short block in it with about 40k miles on it.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    That sounds like a good idea..your on the right track...basics first... Pat yourself on the back though....You successfully completed a Subaru DOHC t-belt job...the SOHC can be done in an hour with little hasle but Ive seen techs before attempt DOHC Subie belt jobs only to start the car and immediately bend valves....We charge around $500 I believe to chanage the T-belt so you at least saved yourself that much...Did you go off of any tutorial or anything? Ive done many many Subie t-belts however the first time I did a DOHC I went off of this article....although most of it was self explainitory..lol.. http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/2.5Timing.pdf
    I got mine done by a professional shop here in Lincoln, NE for 180$. Of course i brought them a new tensioner/belt/waterpump/thermostat/gaskets. So 180 was just labor....only took them a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
    I got mine done by a professional shop here in Lincoln, NE for 180$. Of course i brought them a new tensioner/belt/waterpump/thermostat/gaskets. So 180 was just labor....only took them a few hours.
    You got a deal at $180 for labor..that shop must have not been going off of book time but the time it actually took them to complete the job...unless of course there hourly shop rate was ungodly low...lol

Thanks man, yeah me and my buddy were saying the same, that I did save some money doing it myself but not only that, we managed to change a timing belt which by no means is a small task on an interference engine. To tell you the truth I haven't seen it smoke any more since I last posted, and again the engine sounds solid and pulls rather good. However I am still thinking about that heat tape which I wrapped my turbo with, do you think that its bad that I wrapped it and should take it off regardless? Oh and yes I thought about the change for at least 2 months and went over any tutorials people have made on the web and did follow the subrau manual for changing of the t-belt. I made sure to understand the way that the engine is timed to make sure we did not end up with bent valves.

Kartboy short shifter

Yeah man It's good to hear you gathered all the info you could about the belt change...As i'm sure you've seen on here some people just try and tackle it blind than you see a post something to the effect of.. "t-belt change now car doesn't start" lol As for your thermal wrap of the turbo ive heard of negatives and positives of that..obviously when you wrap it it keeps the heat in there ( as you mentioned ) which personally i look at as a bad thing even if it does give you slightly better spool...It would just be hard for me personally to wrap the turbo with something to keep heat in when you know the turbo spins at like over 150,000 RPM at WOT and produces mass amounts of heat...lol

I realized that most people wrap their downpipe only, so I am going to take it off and re-wrap the downpipe from the turbo on down.

Kartboy short shifter

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.