I'm hearing thumping noises, I could use some help

This is a discussion on I'm hearing thumping noises, I could use some help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2005 STI and for some reason it's making a really loud thumping sound whenever I drive. It ...

I'm hearing thumping noises, I could use some help

I have a 2005 STI and for some reason it's making a really loud thumping sound whenever I drive. It thumps whenever I start to accelerate and whenever I start braking. My other car makes a clicking sound instead, and thats because of a broken axle. I was wondering if the thumping sound is because of a broken axle? As soon as I started driving the car hard, revving it really high and shifting, whenever I shifted, I heard an even louder thumping sound and my car jerked really bad. Can anyone help me out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It's hard to help remotely because there's the possibility that the noises are normal. The car is prone to noisy suspension in the rear, and is also susceptible to movement of the rear diff during hard acceleration. Without someone experienced with the car riding along it'll be hard IMO to tell if what you hear is normal or a fault. I'd recommend supporting the car safely on ramps or jack stands and looking closely at the rear for any failures; otherwise, taking it to a shop in your area or attending a local meet and asking other owners for their opinion.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.