car_farts
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on car_farts within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, I'm new to this forum but it looks like it's full of very knowledgeable people. I hope to receive ...

car_farts

Hello,

I'm new to this forum but it looks like it's full of very knowledgeable people. I hope to receive some of your help in addressing a problem I have.

I have a 08 wrx with AVO intake, AVO TMIC and a catback exhaust. Every other engine/powertrain component is stock.

It looks like I lost my boost. I don't have a turbo pressure gauge so I can't quantify this problem. However, when I punch the gas around 3k RPM the turbo spools (I think, unless its just air going through the air intake) and then I hear a high pitched farting noise - just like when you spread apart the opening on a balloon full of air or blow through a blade of grass. It sounds like it's coming from the left side of the engine bay (when in the driver's seat). Could it be that the BOV has been damaged due to boost creep (is that even possible with my setup)?

I checked the hoses around the turbo and intake and didn't find anything wrong...the brass pellet is not missing either.
    I still have to double check the connection leaving the TIMC but I don't have easy access to those connections.

Also, when I let off on the throttle I don't hear the BOV go off like it used to...but that's probably because the pressure isn't there in the first place.

Can someone offer some advice before I start removing parts?
    Also, do you think my warranty will cover this (if I leave the intake and TIMC on)? What if I put the stock intake and TIMC on?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well what i would personally do is put all the stock parts back on and see if it is still doing your concern. if it goes away start piecing the a/m parts back on until the problem comes back

And btw welcome to the club!

oh, I also noticed a slight increase in fuel consumption on my 60 mile commute to work.
    It went from 28.2mpg to 25.5mpg...my total running average has been 26.1mpg up to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by atrizzzie View Post
    well what i would personally do is put all the stock parts back on and see if it is still doing your concern. if it goes away start piecing the a/m parts back on until the problem comes back

And btw welcome to the club!
    Thanks for the quick reply! I'd just like to point out that this wasn't caused by the mods. The car has had these mods on for over a year. This just happened two days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! I'd just like to point out that this wasn't caused by the mods. The car has had these mods on for over a year. This just happened two days ago.
    well assuming its still under warranty, in that case ide spend a couple of hours, revert it to stock, and bring it back to the dealer

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Personally I think it would be easier just to try to find the leak first.

Is your "BOV" stock? I ask because you didn't list it as a mod but it comes with a by-pass valve stock.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

sorry, yes, it is a bypass valve and not a blow off valve.

fixed

I fixed it.

The hose clamp connecting the the throttle body hose and the output port of the TMIC slipped off.

I had a hard time making the AVO TMIC fit into the TB hose. After trying for half an hour I gave up and installed the OEM TMIC.

Anyone else have difficulty with this? Did you replace the throttle body hose with the one Rallitek recommends? AVO Throttle Body to TMIC Hose

Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.