Loose Steering?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Loose Steering? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Everybody, Last winter I managed to throw my 06 into a snow bank. Yes, I did a good job ...

Loose Steering?

Hey Everybody,
    Last winter I managed to throw my 06 into a snow bank. Yes, I did a good job of it and luckily nothing broke. However, I am wondering if it is possible for the steering to become loose after such a thing. I was going about 30-40 when I lost control and only because the snow was pretty hard did i not wrap around a tree. So could the snow bank have knocked something off because as I drive around at speed now I feel like the steering is loose and not really communicating like it should. The alignment seems to be good, there are no vibrations except sometimes under heavier braking. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Possibly new bushings needed?

First, the vibration under heavy breaking is probably from slightly warped brake rotors, if the vibration is accompanied by a steering wheel twitch, it would be the front rotors; however if it is just a shake through the whole vehicle, it would be the rear rotors.

The loose steering however is a little harder to diagnose, some easy things to check would be the power steering fluid level, and the belt tension for the power steering pump. If the belt were slipping it could cause a hesitation in the steering, and a low power steering fluid level could do the same, although these are typically accompanied by a squealing noise.

The belt tension is not very likely since it happened after you hit a snowbank, but you may have popped a hole in one of your power steering lines.

Aside from that it could be a bent tie rod, a bad bushing, a bad power steering pump, or one of many other parts in the front end that could be bent or broken

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.