Long Term Storage

This is a discussion on Long Term Storage within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my company is shipping me over seas for a couple of months and I'm curious on what to do ...

Question Long Term Storage

So my company is shipping me over seas for a couple of months and I'm curious on what to do with my car. Right now it's a little unclear on how long I'll be gone, but worst case scenario I'll be gone mid-September through mid-February. I most definitely will garage keep it while I am away, I also plan to put it away with fresh oil and a full tank of gas. But what else is suggested?

Are jack stands/blocks recommended? I've had issues in the past (more so when it's hot) with some slight flat spots/deformation of the tires when I've let it sit for a week or so, but they go away after 10 min of driving and the tires come up to temp.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

DUB

I'm actually getting ready to store a car soon for around the same amount of time as you. I'm not a car storage expert but here what what I'm planing to do.

For the engine etc. Add fuel preservative to the tank,do an oil change right before.

For the tires I go a product called flat stoppers, they had good review on the Ferrari forum (where cars tend to sit a lot ). I was considering putting my old oem wheels and tires on but I had no where to store my nice wheels inside, so this was the next best solution. They were frankly over price but my tires were more expensive didn't want to come back to find I suddenly needed a new set.

Interior, not much here but I am going to put two of those baking soda fridge box things which are supposed to absorb moisture and smells in the air. Probably not necessary but can't hurt.

Exterior I'm giving it a good wash and wax and then putting a cover on it. It's going to be in doors but it will keep dust off. Place something over the exhaust tips and air box so nothing gets in there (again maybe over kill but can't hurt.

Lastly I'm removing the battery and placing it on a trickle charger/maintainer.

Also I have someone who can give it a check over now and then to make sure nothing weird has happened like rodents or huge amounts of moisture inside.

EDIT: Looks like my plan is pretty similar to the nasioc solution as well
    Last edited by cavallino333; 08-10-2009 at 07:24 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Wouldn't closing up the exhaust prevent atmospheric condensation from evaporating?
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Wouldn't closing up the exhaust prevent atmospheric condensation from evaporating?
    you are only blocking the way for critters to get in. Not making it airtight.

^^^ I see...makes sense.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)