Cam / crank pulley removal. Quick ?s !!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cam / crank pulley removal. Quick ?s !!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I'm replacing my timing belt and the other parts that go along with the job. Question is for removing ...

Arrow Cam / crank pulley removal. Quick ?s !!!

So I'm replacing my timing belt and the other parts that go along with the job. Question is for removing the crank pulley do I need a pulley removal tool? Also do I need to use any of these special Subaru tools to remove the crank and cam
    pulleys? Or can I do the job with common tools?
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I found this on IWSTI How-To sub-forum:

Step 3:
    Now comes the fun part of removing the crankshaft pulley. Instead of buying the very expensive pulley wrench my friend showed me a trick he uses. Attach a 22mm socket to the crank bolt and attach a breaker bar to it. Wedge the breaker bar on the frame or on the ground. Now turn the key to start the car. DONíT LET THE CAR START! Just use the strength of the starter to break the bolt free.
    So I guess if you have the balls to try it, you don't need the expensive ST 499977100 Crank Pulley Wrench and ST 499987500 Crankshaft Socket.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Ive had success using a decent strap wrench on the crank pulley while turning the bolt..should be 22mm....as for the cam sprockets you can try and loosen them with the t-belt still installed besides that the only thing i can recommend trying is the strap wrench again..if they where metal like the ones on my EJ22 Legacy pry bars work well however yours are plastic so I wouldnt try that... don't be to rough on them...they break easily believe me..i've done it..lol..ALSO If you do try to bump the engine as mentioned..MAKE SURE THE BREAKER BAR IS WEDGED ON THE DRIVERS SIDE BY THE BATTERY..otherwise the bar will swing the wrong way and you could get hurt...BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN DOING THIS....Ive done this many many times successfully so it does work just be careful...
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 08-10-2009 at 07:52 PM.

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    I found this on IWSTI How-To sub-forum:...
    That seems like a recipe for disaster, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    That seems like a recipe for disaster, to me.
    Agreed... Two things I'm considering letting the dealer do:

1) Timing belt change
    2) Coolant flush (because it seems like a lot of folks have trouble doing it properly)
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

DUB
    I def agree on #1.

#2, people just have trouble 'cause they don't take the time to do it right. It just takes a lot of time.
    I had never done it before and after a lot of research it came out just fine on the first try.

I Support ClubWRX
    One reason to pay for the timing belt is that it will be a lot of time hunched over. There's not way I've found to keep my back straight while doing it and even doing the external belts, I had to take a short break and stretch my back. That's just me though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Besides bumping the key to remove it...

Has anyone done this without the special tools? I read of people who say it was just a bit more difficult. Then I read in articles like this... http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/2.5Timing.pdf

about if you dont use the special tools to lock the cam sprockets your going to experience valve to valve interference and risk internal damage.

Does putting the gearbox in gear and pressing the brake lock the crank allowing you to break loose or re-install the bolt and torque it properly?

I Support ClubWRX
    A good 1/2" impact gun will get that bolt out. As for the cam, 3/8" impact gun. Easy Schmeezy.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    A good 1/2" impact gun will get that bolt out. As for the cam, 3/8" impact gun. Easy Schmeezy.
    Will one fit? I looked at removing the radiator but even then it seems as there would not be enough space. Unless the condenser gets removed too?

IF anyone finds an impact gun that will fit in that space i give you kudos...let me know....you can always pull the access cover to the flywheel/flexplate and ram a pry bar in there to hold it while you break the bolt loose also....

I just did the belt change myself with a friend and taking of the crank pulley is the least of your worries. Using the bump start way is the easiest thing to do if you have a long enough breaker bar... I wouldn't rest the bar against anything on your car but we rested the bar against the floor and just bump the starter. To make sure it was "safe" i gave it a dry run to practice the bump, all you got to is to twist the key for split second and let go. After I saw how easy it is we attached the breaker bar and as soon as I bumped the starter the bolt let go. Think about it, even if you start the engine nothing really catastrophic could happen, the pulley is just running the accessories and not the timing and you can shut it off quickly any how, even if the bolt would come loose the crank pulley is on there so tight that it would not fly off, plus its got a pin to hold it in place, so it won't spin around the crank shaft. You can also try to put the car in 5th gear and hold down the break, while someone else with a breaker uses their hands to get it loose.

I would not touch the cam shaft pulleys myself though, I think if you get it off and the cam shaft turns, I don't know of a sure way to get back the correct timing. You really have to be expirienced with engine timing and actually with the ej20 to do something like that, I would think.
    Last edited by subaru_crazy; 08-11-2009 at 01:26 PM.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

just remember to line up your timing marks before you remove the belt..the cam sprockets are keyed..they will only go on one way....

ah right you are, they have to be keyed like the crankshaft, and yeah, lining up the correct timing before removing the belt makes sure the new belt is easier to time correctly anyways why to remove the cam shaft sprockets?
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Quote Originally Posted by subaru_crazy View Post
    ah right you are, they have to be keyed like the crankshaft, and yeah, lining up the correct timing before removing the belt makes sure the new belt is easier to time correctly anyways why to remove the cam shaft sprockets?
    For the cam seals, I was assuming they were behind the sprockets.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.