115k miles, too late for synthetic oil?

This is a discussion on 115k miles, too late for synthetic oil? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ive been a honda guy for along time and its a general rule with hondas, dont switch to synthetic oil ...

115k miles, too late for synthetic oil?

Ive been a honda guy for along time and its a general rule with hondas, dont switch to synthetic oil after you buy a high mile car. vtec loves to burn that oil.

I just bought my 02 wtx, about to do a oil change.. I asked the old owner if he used any special oils.. he said no so I figure its dino in there. any reason to not go with synthetic? i really dont like moble, will prob go with castrol either way.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mekks View Post
    Ive been a honda guy for along time and its a general rule with hondas, dont switch to synthetic oil after you buy a high mile car. vtec loves to burn that oil.

I just bought my 02 wtx, about to do a oil change.. I asked the old owner if he used any special oils.. he said no so I figure its dino in there. any reason to not go with synthetic? i really dont like moble, will prob go with castrol either way.
    Should be OK, just check the oil level more often (ie, every fuel stop) and make sure it's not burning oil excessively.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Should be OK, just check the oil level more often (ie, every fuel stop) and make sure it's not burning oil excessively.
    well i just got back from the dealer, i asked them to check the service records.. the guy i got the car from didnt have any. they said the short block was replaced @ 83k miles so it only has like.. 22k miles on it? and the tranny @ 97k miles.

gives me alittle peice of mind.

I Support ClubWRX
    well i just got back from the dealer, i asked them to check the service records.. the guy i got the car from didnt have any. they said the short block was replaced @ 83k miles so it only has like.. 22k miles on it? and the tranny @ 97k miles.

gives me alittle peice of mind.
    Bonus.

Seriously watch your oil though if your coming from a Honda. They never seem to use any but boxers can for sure.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Bonus.

Seriously watch your oil though if your coming from a Honda. They never seem to use any but boxers can for sure.
    my gsr had like 160k on it. m1 i would burn a qt every 1.5-2k miles, then i switched to castrol and burnt like .5qt every 3k.

i just picked up some shell 5w40 today at walmart, and a oem oil filter. people on these forums seem to have good things to say about it.

thanks for the replys guys =)

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Blackstone Laboratories - FAQ Gas

What's the best oil to use?

Ah, the million dollar question. We are an independent lab, so we don't make recommendations. It has been our experience that oil is oil, and either petroleum or synthetic-based oil will work well for just about any engine.

Come on, you're holding out on me. I should use synthetic, right?

Buddy, you should use whatever you want. Synthetic oil won't guarantee a longer engine life any more than my eating organic food will guarantee I'll live until I'm 90. We here at Blackstone generally use regular petroleum-based oil because honestly, it works just as well for us.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    That's interesting.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/81544.png
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

Basically synthetic oil will sustain its integrity much longer than regular oil. I am running synth in my car mainly becasue it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling, but I well know that regular oil would suffice since I change my oil every 3k miles. So if you want to run longer between changes then synthetic is much better suited as it will not turn to gunk as quickly as a regular oil would. I saw this first hand on my moms old hyundai, when she neglected to change the oil for 4500 miles the oil that came out had clumps in it. While I tested my synthetic once by running it for 5k miles, it still poured out liquid with out a single clump. Oh the the best brand of oil is def. Castrol, mobil 1 suxs balls, my engine was loud as hell with Mobil 1, but its purring like a kitten with Castrol even though its got 100k miles on it now.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by subaru_crazy View Post
    I am running synth in my car mainly becasue it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling, but I well know that regular oil would suffice since I change my oil every 3k miles.
    That is one of the most sane things I have ever read in a "which oil to use" thread.

And I do for the warm fuzzies too!

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    That is one of the most sane things I have ever read in a "which oil to use" thread.

And I do for the warm fuzzies too!
    cats are warm and fuzzy.

DUB
    cats are warm and fuzzy.

LOL
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter