running while not fixed?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on running while not fixed? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; what will happen if the engine is ran with a number 4 misfire...

running while not fixed?

what will happen if the engine is ran with a number 4 misfire

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by smugglin1986 View Post
    you will damage it more and more especially if you are seeing alot of boost. Had the same code and ended up having low compression in that cylinder. It dropped more and more and ran worse the more I drove it

0db
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotwist View Post
    you will damage it more and more especially if you are seeing alot of boost. Had the same code and ended up having low compression in that cylinder. It dropped more and more and ran worse the more I drove it
    To be fair, if it's misfiring due to low compression, there's something mechanically wrong with the valvetrain or piston/rings, and that will ALWAYS get worse over time.

If he's just got a bad coil or sparkplug, it probably won't hurt anything although if he's dumping unburned fuel out into his exhaust he could damage a catalytic converter or cause other problems.

It's always best to fix stuff ASAP though. Just as a general rule.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It could be a ton of basic issues if it is mechanical, many of which could be serious. Check all the basics as mentioned, MAF cleaner, fuel filter, spark etc. etc.

Or it could be that the sensor is too touchy in your car. I guessed you had an '02 before I looked. There is a flash available from the dealer for an issue with this. Do you have an aftermarket flywheel and or pulley setup?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

i have no idea if the previous owner did anything to the tranny or not

Shortly after purchasing my 03 WRX, I started having number 2 misfires. When the check engine light came on, I'd schedule an appointment with the mechanic, but still drive the car to work and around town until then.

After the second CEL (same problem, number 2 misfire), the car began overheating badly. When I got it towed to the mechanic, they did some investigating and found out that piston number 2 was cracked.

So yeah, it could be relatively minor or it could be something major. I'd get it checked out if I were you.

why dont you get it checked out?

i will this weekend and roughly how much do you think it will cost to get it fixed

i will this weekend and roughly how much do you think it will cost to get it fixed
    totally depends whats wrong. expect to pay at least $85.00 an hour for diagnostic work

ok well what is the cost for a valve train fix

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.