Bye bye turbo...

This is a discussion on Bye bye turbo... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well on my drive home from work today, I was about 5 miles from my house when I started to ...

Bye bye turbo...

Well on my drive home from work today, I was about 5 miles from my house when I started to hear a pretty quiet clicking noise coming from the engine off and on. I could only hear it because I was driving next to a jersey barrier so it echoed back into my open windows. Within another mile, the car started to lose most of its power and it just barely made it another mile to the top of the hill when the temp started to climb and I shut it off and coasted down off my exit. I tried to start it to move it a little down the road but the turbo was fried and the car wouldn't turn over.

I have the car up for sale and of course this happens just before I sell it! I'm just going to put a stock STi turbo on the car since I'm selling it and that is an easy replacement. If anybody has one for sale (used is ok, but must be in good condition) let me know!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I know this doesnt help but I just sold mine... Could luck man.. Do you have the supporting mods to throw on a step up?? Might be faster and easier

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Sucks...now I guess you have to DD the 911...what a shame.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    I have to ask, what makes you think it's the turbo? Normally a turbo will puke smoke, oil, coolant, sound like a siren, or just plain seize up. They usually don't click. Also, a seized turbo won't stop the car from turning over, or running for that matter.

Your description sounds more like you threw a rod.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    sucks...now i guess you have to dd the 911...what a shame.
    +1
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Sucks...now I guess you have to DD the 911...what a shame.
    That's in the shop too so I'm down to just my 77 Ford! The 911 should be done next week with the new GT2 front bumper on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    I have to ask, what makes you think it's the turbo? Normally a turbo will puke smoke, oil, coolant, sound like a siren, or just plain seize up. They usually don't click. Also, a seized turbo won't stop the car from turning over, or running for that matter.

Your description sounds more like you threw a rod.
    The car won't turn over I think because the oil pressure is gone from the turbo going and the intake air is bad from the same thing. It may be sending oil into the combustion chamber and it doesn't take much oil to cause ignition to just not happen. I doubt it's a rod since the car drove fine and didn't make any loud funny noises as it started to lose power going up the hill. The power loss was fast but consistent and there was a bad smell of fried oil, but since I only drove the car a short distance, I didn't get to the point of burning a bunch of oil or seeing a bunch of smoke. When I know there's something seriously wrong, I don't drive the car like an idiot, I park it and fix it! If I wasn't in the steep mountains I don't think it would have died as quickly but the car was desperately trying to get some power to make it up a very long, steep hill which would have pushed the turbo hard and caused the behavior I saw.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    That's in the shop too so I'm down to just my 77 Ford! The 911 should be done next week with the new GT2 front bumper on it.

The car won't turn over I think because the oil pressure is gone from the turbo going and the intake air is bad from the same thing. It may be sending oil into the combustion chamber and it doesn't take much oil to cause ignition to just not happen. I doubt it's a rod since the car drove fine and didn't make any loud funny noises as it started to lose power going up the hill. The power loss was fast but consistent and there was a bad smell of fried oil, but since I only drove the car a short distance, I didn't get to the point of burning a bunch of oil or seeing a bunch of smoke. When I know there's something seriously wrong, I don't drive the car like an idiot, I park it and fix it! If I wasn't in the steep mountains I don't think it would have died as quickly but the car was desperately trying to get some power to make it up a very long, steep hill which would have pushed the turbo hard and caused the behavior I saw.
    I really wouldn't buy a turbo just yet.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    +1

Moving to troubleshooting.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

sounds like you spun a rod. It can happen in a second.

When i spun mine, it all happened so fast, but i poured oil in to prevent the engine from seizing up.
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree. The only symptom that sounds like turbo failure is the loss of power.
    Last edited by devilfluff; 08-06-2009 at 02:47 PM.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    If I wasn't in the steep mountains I don't think it would have died as quickly but the car was desperately trying to get some power to make it up a very long, steep hill which would have pushed the turbo hard and caused the behavior I saw.
    You shouldnt be pushing your turbo hard just trying to "get" up a steep hill. Now going WOT in a high gear lugging the motor would be working an ENGINE hard....THAT could've done in one of your rods i suppose.

I guess it could be the turbo, but if it doesnt crank i dont think it is. Air can still flow, even past a seized turbo.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Just saw the part out thread - RIP STi

Just curious did it get wrecked with the motor blown?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb