'05 WRX Wagon - ??Turbo lag at 3k rpm+??
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on '05 WRX Wagon - ??Turbo lag at 3k rpm+?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, this is my first post to this forum and unfortunately it's not with a positive issue. I tried doing ...

'05 WRX Wagon - ??Turbo lag at 3k rpm+??

Well, this is my first post to this forum and unfortunately it's not with a positive issue. I tried doing a brief search of the site, but didn't find anything that was completely related to my issue.

Anyway, I'm not the most knowledgement car guy in the world and am still getting my feet wet in the Subaru world. I just traded in my '06 Xterra for an '05 WRX Wagon 5speed in June this year that had 61k on it, purchased from an authorized Subaru dealer as a Subaru Certified Vehicle, and included a 3 yr bumper-to-bumper warranty...also, 10 days prior to my purchase had the 60k service done.

In any case, I haven't really driven it hard at all, but of course I want to know what my car can do so I've got in to boost a couple times as of late, not with hard launches, just easing off the line and then given it some gas through 3rd gear. Well, if I'm starting off in 1st, 2nd, or sometimes 3rd it seems to hit about 3k rpm and more frequently than I'd like it starts to hesitate as it reaches up to redline (I don't actually redline it though). It doesn't do this if I step in to it at speed in 3rd, 4th, or 5th...only in the lower gears at lower speeds under bigger loads.

Anyone have any suggestions of things I'm doing wrong, or worse, things wrong with the car?...or is it time to pay a visit to my dealership to test out that extended warranty?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I bought a 2005 WRX wagon last November. Mine is all stock, has 56k miles and I am experiencing the same thing. It sort of stumbles briefly between about 3500 rpm and redline under hard acceleration. It's not as noticeable in the higher gears, but definitely not smooth in the lower gears like first through third. The car runs great otherwise. I was hoping the new plugs due at 60k miles would fix it.

Talking

I don't know how the car ran prior to the 60k service, so I have no baseline for comparison, but I just find it hard to believe that this behavior during harder acceleration in the lower gears is "normal"...unless I am indeed just driving the car very poorly, and I'm no Raikkonen, but I'd like to think I know how to drive the car properly.

Does the "brand" of premium fuel you put in the car make a substantial difference?...like Chevron versus Shell versus Tesoro versus Maverick versus etc, etc, etc?

Also, I tend to go for evening drives as of late because there really isn't any traffic anywhere, the weather is perfect and I just like to drive during the evening. When I'm out just cruising around and finding boost here and there, I notice it seems to get a bit better once I've let it actually hit boost a couple times. My normal day's drive is about 4.5 miles each way to work, multiple stop lights and all under 35mph, so boost is rarely achieved in my everyday driving...does that play a factor?

Basically, I don't want to take the car back to the dealer if I don't have to, but I also don't want to neglect a potential issue that could get dramatically worse if left unattended to and that's the reason I'm trying to pick the brains of all you Scooby veterans.

I Support ClubWRX
    First thing about asking help to troubleshoot is to list any performance modifications you might have. If both your cars are completely stock first thing I would do is clean the MAF sensor with some CRC MAF cleaner. A quick search will bring up how to clean it properly. Second would be to use Seafoam to do a topend cylinder cleaning. Buy two cans. Put one in the gas tank and the other for the cylinder cleaning. The cylinder cleaning will remove carbon build up/deposits from the valves,head and piston tops. I would use the BPV vacuum line to injest the Seafoam. Just buy a length of hose from Home Depot or something to connect to the BPV line to make it easier. Directions are on the can or you can just search "Seafoam". If those don't work pull the plugs and check the gaps. Should be between .028-.031.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Hey Donkey, thank you for the suggestions! Indeed, my car is 100% stock setup. So I will probably start with the MAF cleaning this weekend, and then move on to the cyclinder cleaning if it seems necessary, but as a Pre-owned Subaru Certified vehicle I'd like to think that type of thing was already done prior to my purchase of the car...oh well.

Also, does the weather/climate play a factor in to that kind of behavior. I live in Idaho and we have had some fairly hot temps as of late (95 to 100+ for the last 3+ weeks) and it's a dry heat here, just wondering if that might be an issue.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Adequate View Post

Also, does the weather/climate play a factor in to that kind of behavior. I live in Idaho and we have had some fairly hot temps as of late (95 to 100+ for the last 3+ weeks) and it's a dry heat here, just wondering if that might be an issue.
    Could be the weather. Use 93 or 94 octane if possible. Also a "catch can" is a great investment on even a stock car. A catch can acts as a grease trap for PCV vapors. Generally to do it effectively you need two catch cans. A quick search will bring up more info and diagrams. For the most part PCV gases can lower the effective octane of gasoline when they mix in the cylinder. Not to mention PCV gases also leave an oil caoting inside the intercooler which makes it harder to transer heat from the pressurized air. The car might be close to the knock threshold if this is happening around peak torque/max boost. Also the 04-05's have a bit of a funky closedloop/openloop fueling crossover stutter. It's generally fixed by engine management.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Unfortunately, it's not an easy thing to find higher than 91 octane around here.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.