2004 WRX New Owner. Got Some Questions.

This is a discussion on 2004 WRX New Owner. Got Some Questions. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys whats going on. I just bought a 2004 WRX 104k miles on the drivetrain 2,500 miles on the ...

Arrow 2004 WRX New Owner. Got Some Questions.

Hey guys whats going on.
    I just bought a 2004 WRX 104k miles on the drivetrain 2,500 miles on the engine. Engine was replaced under extended warranty by dealer. The car is tuned to stage 2 by a cobb access port, however the only modifications are a BOV, Muffler, and the person I bought it from had removed the stock air box. The car does not have turboback exhaust, however it is stage 2 tuned.

Let me start by saying two things. First of all I love the car, it is a blast to drive and i have been having alot of fun with it.
    Second of all I would like to apologize in advance for asking questions which have most likely been asked before...
    Please feel free to flame but bear in mind E-Thugs dont really bother me. At all.

Anyways.

Question 1:
    Cruise control worked when i picked the car up and was doing just fine but then it suddenly quit working. i asked the previous owner about it and he said that it had something to do with the blow off valve which was causing the check engine light to come on so the cruise would not turn on. However he had toggled the CEL off with the accessport. Is this true? Will buying a better BOV solve this problem?

Question 2:
    When moving at low speeds in both first and second gear the car sort of lurches a little bit both when I give it gas and let off the gas. Is this normal? If not what is going on?

Question 3:
    This has happened to me twice now, once tonight and once about 3 or 4 nights ago. I turn the car on, it is sitting in NEUTRAL with the emergency break engaged and the reverse lights come on the second i start the car up and will not turn off. The lights stay on regardless of what gear I am running in whether it be reverse or 1,2,3,4,5. WTF? When it happened tonight I turned the car back on 30 minutes later and it was not doing it. It seems to be happening at random

Question 4:
    Today I put my car in reverse to back out of my driveway and as soon as the car started rolling I heard a very annoying RC Car-esque buzzing noise. What causes this and how can it be fixed?

Question 5:
    When shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, especially under acceleration the transition between gears is very rough. I will shift around 5-6k RPMs (once again this is under hard acceleration because that is where it happens worst) after i shift into second and let the clutch out the car lurches a little bit. This happens in no other gears. Seems like every Gear besides 1st and 2nd are smooth as butter. Please note I do not consider myself to be an expert driver of manual transmission cars but i am not a stone cold begginer either. I have driven corvettes and never had this problem. Is my clutch slipping? Is my clutch going bad?

Thanks in advance for the help, you guys are awesome and I have already learned so much from this site and as soon as I get all the kinks worked out I will love this car even more than I already do!

PS: If anything did not make sense or needs to be clarified and/or described in more detail let me know. I'm running on a hangover and 4 hours of sleep

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    1. I've never heard of this and don't see how this could be the case.

2. Not sure what you're describing

3. Sounds like you have some electrical gremlins that need to be worked on.

4. You learn to live with it. There is no fix because nothing is wrong.

5. Please use another word to describe what's happening. I can't understand what you're describing.

I would have someone get rid of that stage 2 tune ASAP or get a turboback/downpipe. Do not put it off. Your EGTs are probably sky high and that new motor may start running into issues.
    Last edited by brfatal; 07-27-2009 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    1. I've never heard of this and don't see how this could be the case.

2. Not sure what you're describing

3. Sounds like you have some electrical gremlins that need to be worked on.

4. You learn to live with it. There is no fix because nothing is wrong.

5. Please use another word to describe what's happening. I can't understand what you're describing.

I would have someone get rid of that stage 2 tune ASAP or get a turboback/downpipe. Do not put it off. Your EGTs are probably sky high and that new motor may start running into issues.
    For questions 2 and 5 the car lurches, as in it jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post

"Get rid of the stage 2 tune as soon as possible"

Your EGTs are probably sky high and that new motor may start running into issues.
    What are EGTs? And to reset to the stock map all I have to do is plug the accessport in and revert it to stock mapping, correct?

bump

put the stock recirculator back on..
    tuned down to stage 1
    Car runs MUCH smoother..

However..my cruise control still isnt working..
    PLEASE HELP????

Also, today I was on a steak n shake run and as i pulled into the parking lot my headunit just shut off by itself.. I also noticed my odometer, clock, and other dash lights dimming and then lighting back up.. I got my food and began the 10 mile drive back home..
    All was well until I pulled onto my exit. As i depressed the clutch it was as if the car lost all electrical power. the rev and speed guages quickly dropped to zero, my headunit shut off, my clock and all dash lights dimmed and shut off. And then instantly they were back on again, and everything was normal.
    When I got home I hooked my car up to the accessport and reset my ecu. I also tried pulling codes but there were none.
    After the ECU reset everything seemed fine. can someone please try to explain to me what happened? did i do the right thing? It should be noted that I just got done tuning down to stage 1 and the eletrical system was running fine before then as far as i know.

Quote Originally Posted by ROOR View Post
    put the stock recirculator back on..
    tuned down to stage 1
    Car runs MUCH smoother..

However..my cruise control still isnt working..
    PLEASE HELP????

Also, today I was on a steak n shake run and as i pulled into the parking lot my headunit just shut off by itself.. I also noticed my odometer, clock, and other dash lights dimming and then lighting back up.. I got my food and began the 10 mile drive back home..
    All was well until I pulled onto my exit. As i depressed the clutch it was as if the car lost all electrical power. the rev and speed guages quickly dropped to zero, my headunit shut off, my clock and all dash lights dimmed and shut off. And then instantly they were back on again, and everything was normal.
    When I got home I hooked my car up to the accessport and reset my ecu. I also tried pulling codes but there were none.
    After the ECU reset everything seemed fine. can someone please try to explain to me what happened? did i do the right thing? It should be noted that I just got done tuning down to stage 1 and the eletrical system was running fine before then as far as i know.
    I'm new to the Subi world (I just signed up today in case you didn't notice) but that sounds like a short. You probably have a loose ground somewhere on the dash or under the dash. My guess? Under, on a main ground. It could be something very simple or very complex. I would bet on simple since it sounds like it happens randomly (by vibrations). Same for your backup lights. Hopefully the tuner you bought the car from didn't mess with the wiring too much when he put that head unit in. Grab a diagram of the wiring and get started on a fresh Saturday morning...or whenever your weekends start.

I Support ClubWRX
    if your cruise control isn't working... you probably have a CEL still.... Unplug the battery... Pump the brakes for a minute... then plug the battery back in, and see if it works. (That's considered a "Hard Reset")
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!