Which jack for engine work
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Which jack for engine work within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was wondering what kind of jack you all use when you're doing work under the hood on your wrx. ...

Question Which jack for engine work

I was wondering what kind of jack you all use when you're doing work under the hood on your wrx. Do you use the stock jack that came with the car or something different?

I have a 2-ton jack but I'm having a difficult time locating a good place to put the base against. I'm just looking to change my oil.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't use a jack to change the oil. To do so, though, you would need to lift the car from the front jacking plate (a small, "square" piece with bulges that is behind the oil sump in the center of the car) and place jack stands under the stock jacking locations on either side of the car. Do not get under the car with no jack stands supporting it.

Consider ramps or simply driving onto a curb with the passenger side wheel if your neighbours and local civil servants won't freak out by that.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

DUB
    Search here and NASIOC and you will find diagrams and even real life photographs of the proper jacking and jack stand points.

A question to the general population: lately I have been driving up onto my ramps then jacking up the rear of the car. So the front is supported by the ramps and the rear is supported by jack stands. Am I a complete buffoon for doing this? Seems safe enough to me.

I Support ClubWRX
    It should be provided no device supporting any corner is presented with a load exceeding its capacity. I'd also keep the key outside the car, since the front wheels can still roll and there is no brake on them.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I bought one of those low profile Craftsman jacks from Sears. But I always use ramps or jackstands when I'm under the car.

However, my car is lowered with a front lip, so I can't get the jack underneath without first driving up on 4" race ramps.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.