Timing Belt, etc.

This is a discussion on Timing Belt, etc. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a stock 2003 WRX with about 65K miles. Last week, while pulling out of a parking lot, I ...

Timing Belt, etc.

I have a stock 2003 WRX with about 65K miles. Last week, while pulling out of a parking lot, I heard a sharp crack and my car died. Looked under the hood and saw the A/C belt shredded. Figured that was the extent of the problem. Unfortunately, that was not all she wrote. Closer inspection revealed that the A/C idler failed and probably caused the belt to shred. In addition, the timing belt tensioner failed which, threw the belt and bent some valves.

Now, I get to pay for a substantial amount of work. So, my question is do I need to replace the water pump? Are there any other additional parts that need to be replaced when the timing belt fails? What is the long term prognosis for recovery?

One final question, once the car is up and running, I plan to replace the spark plugs. Can someone recommend some spark plugs? I've been told Bosch and Champion. I've seen good reviews on NGK. Platinum vs. Iridium?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So your abosolutely sure valves are bent?..If there going to be pulling the heads to do the valves..dear god...than they will be putting on new head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, cam seals, crank seal, def. I would be replacing the H20 pump and thermostat and gasket, exhaust header gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and there might be a few more I missed....As for your spark plug choice...are there any mods on the vehicle? I would def. go OEM NGK plugs....

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    So your abosolutely sure valves are bent?..If there going to be pulling the heads to do the valves..dear god...than they will be putting on new head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, cam seals, crank seal, def. I would be replacing the H20 pump and thermostat and gasket, exhaust header gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and there might be a few more I missed....As for your spark plug choice...are there any mods on the vehicle? I would def. go OEM NGK plugs....
    Thanks for the response.

According to the mechanic, when the the tensioner was replaced and a new timing belt installed, two cylinders did not have compression. Hence the bent valves diagnosis. They are sending it to a machine shop for repair. Complete FUBAR for a car with 65K miles. During my last trip to the Subaru dealership, I specifically asked about the belt and was assured that it did not need to be replaced until 105K miles. To say that I am bitter is a massive understatement. At the end of the day, an inspection of the belt may not have revealed the potential failure of the tensioner.

I had a 92 Prelude that lost a timing belt and bent some valves at 85K miles. (I know, this seems to be a reoccurring theme with me. I have awesome luck with cars). While mechanic fixed the problem, he did not replace the H2O pump. The pump later failed and cost me another $800.00. The second mechanic told me that it was common knowledge to replace the water pump and some other parts after a timing belt failure. Just didn't want to make the same mistake here.

On the plugs, do you recommend one step colder or stock heat range?

Final question, does having this work done impact the long term performance and/or value of the car?

Quote Originally Posted by EP WRX View Post

On the plugs, do you recommend one step colder or stock heat range?

Final question, does having this work done impact the long term performance and/or value of the car?

Do you have any modifications done to the vehicle? If not I would stay with the stock heat range, If you do have mods it all depends on the extent of them to determine heat range...

Having the work done (assuming there doing it the correct way) shouldn't really affect the value all that much. It all depends how certain people look at the car... you could have guy #1 say..."oh this car has been apart which means there is the potential for more problems" or guy #2 say..." oh well if it just had all that work done its got tons of new parts so I shouldnt have to worry about that"...There are a few ways to look at it...