Timing Belt Change?

This is a discussion on Timing Belt Change? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey all just thinking about taking my WRX into the dealership to get the timing belt changed, and i was ...

Timing Belt Change?

hey all

just thinking about taking my WRX into the dealership to get the timing belt changed, and i was wondering should i get the water pump and thermostat changed while there at it? has if it fails the timing belt would have to be pulled off again = more money

can i change the belt myself is it easy to do ? or safer to get them to do it ?

thanks

Justin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What year is your car? Is the belt cracking? How many miles are on your car? Are you having overheating probs now? If not, I wouldnt worry about the water pump/thermo. Not horribly hard to do if you have mechanical knowledge. There are prolly instructions on one of these forums somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by oldspower71 View Post
    What year is your car? Is the belt cracking? How many miles are on your car? Are you having overheating probs now? If not, I wouldnt worry about the water pump/thermo. Not horribly hard to do if you have mechanical knowledge. There are prolly instructions on one of these forums somewhere.
    Hi there
    thanks for your reply

ok the it's a 1999 WRX and it's done 204,040 kms

the belt was last replaced at 114,506kms by the owner before me

havn't really looked for cracks in the belt

no over heating - but can i replace the water pump and thermo later on if they stuff up without the taking the timing belt off again ?

thanks

Justin

I could be wrong here but, I believe what you have is an interference engine....Personally I would most def. change the water pump especially if you dont know when it was last changed......If that pulley fails/seizes you have a chance at bending some valves when the belt breaks/slips...Personally I wouldnt and dont take that chance.....

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    I could be wrong here but, I believe what you have is an interference engine....Personally I would most def. change the water pump especially if you dont know when it was last changed......If that pulley fails/seizes you have a chance at bending some valves when the belt breaks/slips...Personally I wouldnt and dont take that chance.....
    thanks for that you have answered my question of replacing the water pump ... i'll order in one and a new thermostat as well

like yourself i'd rather be safe then sorry

thanks mate

cheers

Justin

no prob. man...good luck!...