Loss of power
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Loss of power within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Picked up an 04 STI from a car dealership in Brooklyn, NY. Now it has a front mount, up/down pipes ...

Loss of power

Picked up an 04 STI from a car dealership in Brooklyn, NY. Now it has a front mount, up/down pipes and full exhaust. I bought the car like that so im not really sure what else it has. When i give it half-full throttle the car seems like it bogs and loses power. The service dept told me it needed to be tuned and thats the reason its doing it. A guy at the show room tried telling me the cars supposed to be like that (full of crap). The place told me they were gonnna tune it but never did cause i got the car back and its doing the same thing with the check engine like coming on for a misfire in cyl 3. Anybody have any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Dude, why did you buy it if it was doing that? Tell them it is still doing it and see if you can get your $$ back. That is total bs.

BTW: a used car dealer cannot tune a car....I cannot believe the BS they are feeding you. If you cannot get your $$ back for the car, google search for a reputable tuner in your area and take it to them to striaghten out whatever is going on. The previous owner probably has an accessport with a custom map on it and decided to uninstall it before trading it in so he could sell it seperately. Until you find out what is happening......STAY OUT OF BOOST!
    Last edited by oldspower71; 07-21-2009 at 05:23 PM. Reason: added info

Well they said they were gonna send it out to get tuned at a performance shop. I havent been boosting it at all, just giving it a little gas. Im giving it back this week and getting my money back. I told them it was doing it and they said 'we will take care of it' cause i have a 2 year warranty on it. I told them to fix it or im giving it back, so they said they would. I get the car back, still isnt fixed. So now im giving the car back this week. Was just wondering why it was maybe doing that. Not 100% sure its not tuned.

Awesome man.....glad to hear it. Maybe you can find a good used one at an authorized used subie dealer, even if you have to drive a ways. You're probably avoiding a huge headache by giving it back. Good luck!

Yea since they dont know how to fix it and im not putting any of my own money into it, theyre taking it back. If not then lawyer it is and ill go find a bone stock one so i know its not messed with.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    stock is always the best way to go especially with these types of cars.

a FMIC is not needed & is said to often cause lag especially if you dont have an upgraded turbo

a full exhaust without a tune is NEVER okay, unless you have an 02/03 which are a little more accepting to it.

definitely keep all of these things in mind if/when you go to get another subaru

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Well it keeps going into limp mode. The cruise control n check engine light are on and the car doesnt go anywhere when i step on the gas. The guy called me about it before and i explained everything to him. Told him i wanted to give it back cause they wont fix it and he is talking to the owner. So we shall see. But yea idk why it has a fmic anyway, i dont believe it has a bigger turbo, but i could be wrong. I havent really looked, just been aggravated with them not fixing it.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, I'd be forceful about trying to get them to take this one back. Tell them you didn't realize that the FMIC compromised the safety of the car by removing the bumper beam.

Otherwise, we'll try to help you sort it out but sounds like a PITA.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Oh so they havent told you yet whether or not they are gonna take it back?!?!? "we will talk to the owner" WTF? Is this just a mom and pop used car dealer or what? I hope you don't have to lawyer up because that is a HUGE PITA! Geez it upsets me hearing stories like this I hope they take it back hassle-free.

"Tell them you didn't realize that the FMIC compromised the safety of the car by removing the bumper beam"

+1 to that and any other reasons (emissions perhaps) that you can come up with

No this is like a regular car dealership. Owners/salespersons/service dept. the entire thing. Im going back today and the owner is going for a ride with me so i can show him it. Said they have a loaner car for me also. I told them i brought it in and all they did was clear the light and hes like 'oh idk what went on over there' or some bs. But i told him, last time im bringing in for this problem and if they dont fix it the car is theirs once again. So we'll see. Thanks for the help. Ill let you know when i get it back.

I Support ClubWRX
    From what you said, that car isn't tuned for the bolt-on stuff it has so all of that's causing your bogging issue, end of story. If they're going to try to help you with a tune, I'd call a local tuner and talk to them about what's going on before you just let the dealer take it to some performance shop. Definitely find out who they're saying they plan on taking it to and call ahead. You could get CELs for all kinds of stuff without a proper tune so more often than not you're goin to end up driving in limp mode.

Honestly I'd just take it back and look elsewhere for something that's not as molested. Chances are the previous owner either didn't know what he was doing or he had Engine Management like AccessPort and sold it before he traded the car in.

I Support ClubWRX
    Unfortunately... most people with a subaru just bolt things on and call it good. They don't realize there is a proper way to tune the vehicle and a proper modification path. I'm sorry to hear that you got screwed so bad.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontMounted View Post
    Picked up an 04 STI from a car dealership in Brooklyn, NY. Now it has a front mount, up/down pipes and full exhaust.
    This car is not legal for public road use anywhere in the United States. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

No this is like a regular car dealership.
    I'm beginning to doubt that, since they sold you -- or anyone -- the car with license plates to drive on public roads.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    This car is not legal for public road use anywhere in the United States. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm beginning to doubt that, since they sold you -- or anyone -- the car with license plates to drive on public roads.
    I never said i cared about it being street legal...

And i know where i bought the car from. Not the first car ive bought.
    Last edited by FrontMounted; 07-24-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Quoted

I Support ClubWRX
    I never said i cared about it being street legal...
    Agreed. However, if the dealer didn't care either, it raises some questions in my mind about them, that's all. I'd be very cautious. Good luck with the car.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.